Attorneys, like me, have been trained and conditioned to view things through a very particular legal lens objective and desensitized.
This is not necessarily a bad thing since it can sometimes stop us from judging, or getting too emotionally involved with our clients. As we all know, emotions can often affect our decision-making, and negatively impact our work.
That said, we are human and as African-American lawyers, we are often faced with the unique challenge of being a part of a system of justice that is largely designed to monitor and control Black people some might even say oppress us.
When it comes to the ruling in the Trayvon Martin case, I could professionally and justifiably say, “Well, you know, the prosecution really didn’t present an effective case, and therefore the resulting verdict is appropriate…”
But personally, as an African-American mother, I feel very different and yes it is personal. You see, Trayvon was on trial long before George Zimmerman ever was… long before he decided to walk to the store for some candy and a drink.
Make no mistake, Trayvon was on trial — because of centuries of negative stereotyping of black people– for being young, black and male; he was charged with the crime of ‘walking while young, black and male’; and he was quickly executed for his crime by George Zimmerman.
And Florida enabled this execution by way of the racial and, yes, legal tone it set a long time ago for Zimmerman to kill, to avoid arrest for two months, and to get acquitted.
Didn’t matter that Florida’s so-called ‘Stand Your Ground’ law was not used during the trial since it had already served its purpose. Zimmerman, a wannabe cop, was likely aware of it, and under the law, the police won’t arrest if there is quote-unquote “probable cause” the person “acted in self-defense”.
And the police simply took Zimmerman’s word for it since Trayvon was, well, dead and could not speak.
Unfortunately, in America, justice is far from blind. Trayvon, apparently, did not have the same right to stand his ground since we know for a fact he was approached by an armed aggressor.
In this country, which so often treats black people as “less than” other people –we also know that―if the roles were reversed and Trayvon had been white and Zimmerman black―an immediate arrest would have been made. And Florida likely would have sought the death penalty.
I’ll leave you with this timely quote from Enola Aird, founder and president of Community Healing Network that speaks to the need for us to look at the underlying causes of racial injustice. She says:
“We can debate. We can legislate. We can litigate. But this time we should also focus on the root cause of what happened to Trayvon Martin: the fact that for nearly four hundred years Black people have been seen as less than human. It is well past time for us to address the root cause.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30