Fox News host Bill O’Reilly is no stranger to offending a wide swath of people during his program, “The O’Reilly Factor.” And this time, his latest insult occurred while he was having a conversation with Reverend Jacques DeGraff, claiming that crime in the United States is at high numbers because of young African-American men.
The conversation took place Monday night, following an earlier discussion with actor LeVar Burton on Monday, whom which O’Reilly curiously refers to as “a good guy.” Continuing his “Race & Crime In America” segment, the host posted the question to Rev. DeGraff if he was wrong in stating, “[o]verwhelmingly, violent crime in this country is generated by young Black men.”
Rev. DeGraff responded that the numbers show that the numbers are about geography and where these young men reside. O’Reilly hit back with a statistic from 2011 that said 91 percent of all Blacks murdered that year were killed by their own people. Rev. DeGraff agreed that the sobering figure was extremely high, but contended that most violent crimes happen within the ethnic groups or social base of the victims.
O’Reilly, to his credit, supported Rev. DeGraff’s exasperation at the lack of coverage by major and minor news outlets on the crime epidemic happening in cities like Chicago, New York, and other major hubs of activity.
After some tense banter over the socioeconomic factors at play with crime and Black Americans, O’Reilly shifted his attention to the George Zimmerman trial.
The host suggested that because the Zimmerman case has dominated the news cycle, it is prompting liberal media and outlets to push the issue of Black-on-Black crime to the wayside. O’Reilly once again injected his opinion that Zimmerman will be acquitted of the murder of Trayvon Martin, and that Blacks will immediately riot in response.
Watch O’Reilly’s interview here:
It isn’t clear what crystal ball O’Reilly is peering in to with his guess that if Zimmerman walks, Black people will collectively destroy the city of Sanford. Of course, it’s easier to take the host’s comments as nothing more than the overreaching bombast he’s become rich and famous for.
However, O’Reilly plays a dangerous game of projecting violence during a time when tensions are high nationwide, especially in the Zimmerman case where nearly all the facts point to the idea that the night watchman clearly acted out of bounds.
Mr. O’Reilly’s schtick is to talk slick and sideways about Blacks and liberals, but this time, his words carry an especially irresponsible tone worthy of an outcry.
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.