Get ready for the next big drama. “R&B Divas” has packed up and headed to L.A. with Chante Moore, Kelly Price, Claudette Ortiz, Dawn Robinson, Lil’ Mo and Michel’le on board. If you thought the divas in Atlanta were a messy bunch, well this crew should set a higher bar. Price is the only one with a long-term marriage, Moore, Ortiz, Li’l Mo have been married and divorced and in some cases, married again. Ortiz, part of the 90’s trio City High, dated both male members of the group and one of then showed up on “Intervention.” Michel’le has children by both Dr. Dre AND Suge Knight. Dawn Robinson left EnVogue after a financial dispute. Li’l Moe has 500 tattoos (OK, we kid, but maybe 50 is accurate) and several children. Price was once morbidly obese. Moore has a baby with Kadeem Hardison and her ex-husband Kenny Lattimore who is suing her for custody as the season begins. Is that enough drama for you?
Moore says that despite all that, the show was primarily based around the singer’s shared love of music.
“It’s about music. I love that we all have an opportunity to really recreate ourselves on the show,” Moore told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. I like it that we all have history that it makes sense that we do something together since we all have music in common. That’s what it was about. They didn’t say ‘Can we follow you around your kitchen for nine weeks.’ They said ‘Come and let’s talk about music and who you are as an artist and what you can do as a group to make something else, something new. That’s what I was excited about.”
Okay, but what about the usual diva dustups that characterize these kinds of shows? The supertrailer has already identified Price as the “Nicci Gilbert” of this incarnation of “Divas” something that anyone in the industry who’s worked with her can likely attest to. Ortiz, the youngest of the group, looking to be falling into Keke Wyatt’s footsteps.
“We have six Type A personalities in one room,” Moore says. “We had to learn how to have a conversation without interrupting. I didn’t hit a single person.” But did she want to?
“I can honestly say that I kinda did, yes.”
Moore who releases her latest recording “Moore is More,” this month says the show afforded an opportunity to fans to get to know the artists they only know superficially.
“What’s good about it is that you get to know us a little bit more than you would in 45 minutes singing a song onstage. You can’t stop and talk about your life. You can’t get under the surface. Everyone will get to know us more personally. That’s the best part for me that it will be more of a personal relationship with the people that don’t get a chance to see us.”
After two high-profile relationships, Moore, whose big hit “Chante’s Got a Man” talked about the joys of having a good man in your life, is currently single. After two high profile relationships with actor Kadeem Hardison and singer Kenny Latimore, she says she’s available. For dating but not much else.
“I enjoy dating. I’ve been on a couple of dates. It’s nice. But I want to keep on dating. Date me to death, but don’t even think about asking me anything.”
“R&B Divas” premieres tonight at 9 p.m. on TV One.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25