With the warmth of spring and summer come seasonal allergies and if it seems that they are getting more intense, that would be correct.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in a new study, reported that food and skin allergies were becoming more prevalent in American children and there were significant differences by race.
Between 1997 and 2011, allergies more than doubled among U.S. children, meaning that one in every 20 American kids would likely develop a food allergy and one in every eight a skin allergy and respiratory allergies remain common for youth younger than 18.
Interestingly, food and respiratory allergies also increased with income level, so more affluent families saw higher rates of childhood allergies. The survey also revealed that Latino children had lower allergy rates than non-Hispanic white and black children, but the study did not look into the reasons for the disparities.
Researchers found that particles of pollen or other so-called antigens can enter the body and while the body usually creates antibodies to destroy the antigens, they also can release histamine and other chemicals that cause an allergic reaction.
Some researchers believe that because we eat more processed food and fewer natural nutrients and spend less time outdoors and exercise less, our immune systems may be reacting differently to antigens.
Additionally, a report earlier this year from the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood linked fast food consumption to increased risks of developing asthma, eczema, and hay fever. People who ate fast food three or more times a week had about a 30 percent increased risk of severe asthma, hay fever and eczema.
Researchers saw a protective effect against severe asthma for those who ate fruit at least three times a week.
Some allergists recommend antihistamines, decongestants, inhalers and nasal sprays, alone or in combination. Sometimes, patients also receive allergy shots, which last longer than oral medications.
The good news, according to Dr. Erinn Gardner, an allergist with the Atlanta Allergy and Asthma Clinic, is that treatment is available for allergies.
“Typically it’s tree pollen that will trigger symptoms during the springtime and definitely grass pollen can cause an issue during the spring as well,” Gardner said in a recent interview.
“If your symptoms are relatively mild in nature, it’s just a small amount of runny nose, sneezing or itchy eyes, it’s certainly fine to try an over-the-counter antihistamine.”
“If your allergies are more serious, it’s a good idea to get to the doctor.”
Click here for answers to your “Get Well Wednesday” questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31