With the warmth of spring and summer come seasonal allergies and if it seems that they are getting more intense, that would be correct.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in a new study, reported that food and skin allergies were becoming more prevalent in American children and there were significant differences by race.
Between 1997 and 2011, allergies more than doubled among U.S. children, meaning that one in every 20 American kids would likely develop a food allergy and one in every eight a skin allergy and respiratory allergies remain common for youth younger than 18.
Interestingly, food and respiratory allergies also increased with income level, so more affluent families saw higher rates of childhood allergies. The survey also revealed that Latino children had lower allergy rates than non-Hispanic white and black children, but the study did not look into the reasons for the disparities.
Researchers found that particles of pollen or other so-called antigens can enter the body and while the body usually creates antibodies to destroy the antigens, they also can release histamine and other chemicals that cause an allergic reaction.
Some researchers believe that because we eat more processed food and fewer natural nutrients and spend less time outdoors and exercise less, our immune systems may be reacting differently to antigens.
Additionally, a report earlier this year from the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood linked fast food consumption to increased risks of developing asthma, eczema, and hay fever. People who ate fast food three or more times a week had about a 30 percent increased risk of severe asthma, hay fever and eczema.
Researchers saw a protective effect against severe asthma for those who ate fruit at least three times a week.
Some allergists recommend antihistamines, decongestants, inhalers and nasal sprays, alone or in combination. Sometimes, patients also receive allergy shots, which last longer than oral medications.
The good news, according to Dr. Erinn Gardner, an allergist with the Atlanta Allergy and Asthma Clinic, is that treatment is available for allergies.
“Typically it’s tree pollen that will trigger symptoms during the springtime and definitely grass pollen can cause an issue during the spring as well,” Gardner said in a recent interview.
“If your symptoms are relatively mild in nature, it’s just a small amount of runny nose, sneezing or itchy eyes, it’s certainly fine to try an over-the-counter antihistamine.”
“If your allergies are more serious, it’s a good idea to get to the doctor.”
Click here for answers to your “Get Well Wednesday” questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25