When 8-year-old Michael Diamond (pictured) overheard his parents discussing how expensive a funeral would be for his grandmother, who passed away after battling cancer, he took it upon himself to help with the costs. The pint-sized entrepreneur came up with the slogan “Kool-Aid for a Cause” and set up his own stand so that he could raise enough money for a proper burial for his beloved grandma, reports Fox News.
Bobbie Diamond-Anderson was only 52 years young when she passed away on Father’s Day. Soon after, Michael eavesdropped on his mom, Teresa and dad, Michael Sr., who are both on disability, discussing how they had some monies saved to put toward the funeral expenses but were short $5,000.
Michael, who had a very loving relationship with his grandmother, reportedly wanted to help desperately, so he approached his mom with his idea: “He just came up and said, ‘Can I have a Kool-Aid stand; I want to help out with the funeral.’ And, I told him yeah because that’s what she would have said. Just let him do it. Even if he makes 20 cents; let him do it,” Teresa told Fox News.
The Garfield Heights, Ohio, third grader put his wheels in motion, and by Tuesday, he had set up the Kool-Aid stand. Once a local radio station got wind of the boy’s efforts, though, Michael had customers waiting to buy his drink in droves, with some reportedly driving from across the state and handing over as much as $100 for a cup of the sweet concoction.
Watch news coverage of Michael’s hard work here:
One woman, Pamela Casserlie of Broadview Heights, who visited the stand and gave Michael $100 for his cause, told Fox News, ”When I saw this little boy, what he was doing for his family about his grandma’s funeral, tears came to my eyes. I said I have to go donate to this little boy.”
When Kraft Foods, the makers of the legendary powdered drink, heard about Michael’s efforts, they, too, sent the Diamond family a donation for the funeral.
Michael, who worked his stand every day until Sunday afternoon, was able to successfully raise the $5,000 his family needed in order to give his grandmother a proper burial.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading 8-Year-Old Raises Money For Grandma’s Funeral By Selling Kool-Aid