When 8-year-old Michael Diamond (pictured) overheard his parents discussing how expensive a funeral would be for his grandmother, who passed away after battling cancer, he took it upon himself to help with the costs. The pint-sized entrepreneur came up with the slogan “Kool-Aid for a Cause” and set up his own stand so that he could raise enough money for a proper burial for his beloved grandma, reports Fox News.
Bobbie Diamond-Anderson was only 52 years young when she passed away on Father’s Day. Soon after, Michael eavesdropped on his mom, Teresa and dad, Michael Sr., who are both on disability, discussing how they had some monies saved to put toward the funeral expenses but were short $5,000.
Michael, who had a very loving relationship with his grandmother, reportedly wanted to help desperately, so he approached his mom with his idea: “He just came up and said, ‘Can I have a Kool-Aid stand; I want to help out with the funeral.’ And, I told him yeah because that’s what she would have said. Just let him do it. Even if he makes 20 cents; let him do it,” Teresa told Fox News.
The Garfield Heights, Ohio, third grader put his wheels in motion, and by Tuesday, he had set up the Kool-Aid stand. Once a local radio station got wind of the boy’s efforts, though, Michael had customers waiting to buy his drink in droves, with some reportedly driving from across the state and handing over as much as $100 for a cup of the sweet concoction.
Watch news coverage of Michael’s hard work here:
One woman, Pamela Casserlie of Broadview Heights, who visited the stand and gave Michael $100 for his cause, told Fox News, ”When I saw this little boy, what he was doing for his family about his grandma’s funeral, tears came to my eyes. I said I have to go donate to this little boy.”
When Kraft Foods, the makers of the legendary powdered drink, heard about Michael’s efforts, they, too, sent the Diamond family a donation for the funeral.
Michael, who worked his stand every day until Sunday afternoon, was able to successfully raise the $5,000 his family needed in order to give his grandmother a proper burial.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading 8-Year-Old Raises Money For Grandma’s Funeral By Selling Kool-Aid