Professional bloggers, social media mavens, and speakers from all over the country packed the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture this past Friday and Saturday, June 21 – 22, 2013, for the annual Blogging While Brown Conference held in New York City.
Attendees heard from dozens of speakers on topics ranging from blogging and branding to podcasts and crowdfunding. Former Essence magazine Executive Editor Tamara Jeffries was among Saturday’s expert panelists. The 20-year media veteran offered advice to up-and-coming bloggers on how to improve their blogging skills with her ’10 Ways to Turn Your Blog Writing from Basic to Brilliant,’ presentation.
Jeffries emphasized that the most important thing to remember when it comes to blogging is to find one thing you love to write about and stick with it. “If your work is well written and has a voice, it will appeal to other people,” said Jeffries. Check out her top ten tips for stepping up your blogging game, below.
1) Focus your blog. Jeffries recommends finding one thing you’re really good at and make it the focus of the blog. Keep it clear and concise.
2) Give each blog post an angle. Each post you write about should be about one specific thing. Don’t bog down the post with multiple ideas and tangents.
3) Don’t “write.” Talk to your readers, don’t write to them. Jeffries recommends writing in a way that is similar to how you tell stories to people in person. Keep it conversational.
4) Do some reporting a.k.a. call for back-up. See what other experts are saying about the topic you are discussing and quote them.
5) Keep it short, but shapely. Establish a premise, support your idea and bring it full circle.
6) Write with a scalpel. Cut out unnecessary words/details that are weighing down your post. Less is often times more.
7) Get the words right. For goodness sake, proof read your work!
8) Read it out loud. What looks fine to your eyes can sound completely wrong when read out loud. When editing, be sure to read out your post to catch for awkward wording.
9) Wait…Never, EVER post the 1st draft. Pause, preview, print then post.
10) Write for you and one other person. Even if only one person ever reads your blog post, make it something that will have them wanting more.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25