(L) Evita Robinson of Nomadness TV (R) Kimberly Bryant of BlackGirlsCode
Evita Robinson and Kimberly Bryant are no strangers to crowd-funding. In fact, it’s safe to call them experts.
In 2011, Robinson turned her love for travel and cinematography into a bourgeoning brand by creating the Nomadness Travel Tribe, an online community for travelers around the world. These days, Robinson and her “tribe,” as she refers to her members, can follow her travel adventures on her Nomadness TV web series, which she funded, and continues to do so, through crowdfunding. Kimberly Bryant found the same success when crowd-funding her project BlackGirlsCode, an organization dedicated to introducing coding and technology to young black girls through hands-on programs.
On Saturday, June 22, 2013, Robinson and Bryant led an inspiring panel at the Blogging While Brown Conference, held in New York City, discussing how to utilize crowdfunding tools to get your project off the ground. The female business owners encouraged audience members to be courageous when asking people to assist them with their personal projects, something they believe many black entrepreneurs find a difficult time doing.
Founder Gina McCauley Talks About This Year’s “Blogging While Brown” Conference Below:
“As people of color we need to get over asking people for things,” Evita Robinson told the crowd. “Stop looking at it as asking for money and look at it as an investment.” Bryant stressed that as long as you have a legitimate cause you believe in, the money and supporters should follow. “Movements are created on narratives, so it’s important to make sure your story comes out in the campaign,” said Bryant. “People give to people, not causes.”
Despite the on-going success the ladies have received from crowdfunding, they admit that often times it’s not enough. ”As you’re building your campaign, you should do a lot of offline funding as well,” said Bryant. “It’s hard to raise large sums of money on just social media.” Even with an online community of 4,000 members, Robinson isn’t shy about cold calling or cold emailing in order to expand her sponsorship opportunities.
Keynote by Markus Robinson of InteractiveOne Below:
As in any business, it’s important to get support when spearheading a crowd-funding project. Bryant recommends creating a team before jumping into a campaign, someone other than you that can assist with getting the message out. If people believe in your cause enough to donate, then there’ll be people willing to help you spread the word.
So, what happens when you’ve succeeded in raising your total amount needed to start your project? Robinson believes it’s quite simple: “Do exactly what the hell you said you were going to do. That is your only responsibility from that point on.” With three successful crowdfunding projects under her belt, it’s safe to say she knows what she’s talking about.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading Evita Robinson & Kimberly Bryant Talk CrowdFunding at Blogging While Brown Conference