SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Actress Halle Berry is scheduled to testify on Tuesday in favor of California legislation that would limit the ability of paparazzi to photograph the children of celebrities.
The hearing before the Assembly Committee on Public Safety is set for midmorning, although it’s not clear exactly when Berry is expected to speak.
Berry has tangled with paparazzi. In April, she shouted and cursed at photographers at Los Angeles International Airport, telling them to get away from her young daughter, the Los Angeles Times reported.
The bill by state Sen. Kevin de Leon, D-Los Angeles, would change the definition of harassment to include photographing or recording a child without the permission of a legal guardian, by following the child or guardian’s activities or by lying in wait.
It also increases the penalties for people convicted of such behavior. The first conviction would require imprisonment of at least 10 days, up from the current five days.
The goal is also to protect the children of public officials, including judges and law enforcement, said Greg Hayes, spokesman for the senator.
Opponents, including The Motion Picture Association of America, said it infringes on free speech.
Jim Ewert, general counsel for the California Newspaper Publishers Association, told the Times the bill could criminalize legitimate news gathering.
“It’s what journalists do,” he said. “They take pictures.”
SWIRLED: Our Favorite Black & White Celebs
29 photos Launch gallery
1. Singer KeKe Wyatt's mother is white and her father is African-American.
1 of 29
2. Alicia Keys has an Italian mom and an African- American dad. (PR)
2 of 29
3. Actor Boris Kodjue's father is Ghanaian and his mother German. (PR)
3 of 29
4. Athlete Lolo Jones birth mother is white and her dad is black. (PR)
4 of 29
5. "Criminal Minds" actor has a white mom and a black dad. (PR)
5 of 29
6. Rashida Jones, daughter of Quincy Jones, who is Black and mom, Peggy Lipton is White. (PR)
6 of 29
7. Singer Lenny Kravitz has a Black mom and a Caucasian-Jewish father. (PR)
7 of 29
8. Amber Rose has an Italian father and a Creole Mother. (PR)
8 of 29
9. Drake's mother is Jewish-Canadian and his father is Black. (PR)
9 of 29
10. Jordin Sparks is bi-racial too. (PR)
10 of 29
11. J.Cole's mother is caucasian and his dad is African- American. (PR)
11 of 29
12. Singer Mya's father is Italian and her mother is Black. (PR)
12 of 29
13. NBA player Kris Humphries has a white mom and black dad. (PR)
13 of 29
14. Actress Halle berry's mother is Causcasian and her father is Black. (PR)
14 of 29
15. President Barack Obama has a Kenyan father and a Caucasian mother. (AP)
15 of 29
16. Tracee Ellis Ross' mom is the the legendary Diana Ross and her dad is white. (PR)
16 of 29
17. Derek Jeter has a black dad and white mother. (PR)
17 of 29
18. Actor Wentworth Miller is half White and Black. (AP)
18 of 29
19. Maya Rudolph has a black mother, Minnie Rippleton and a white father. (PR)
19 of 29
20. Actress Lauren London has a Black mom and a Caucasian- Jewish father. (PR)
20 of 29
21. Actor Vin Diesal is black and Italian but he has never met his biological father. (PR)
21 of 29
22. Singer Leona Lewis has white mom and black dad. (PR)
22 of 29
23. Melanie "Scary Spice" Brown's mother is white and her dad is black. (PR)
23 of 29
24. Actor Jesse Williams has a Swedish mom and an African-American dad. (PR)
24 of 29
25. Twins actresses Tia Mowry-Hardict and Tamara Mowry-Housley are Black and Italian. (PR)
25 of 29
26. Faith Evans has a black mother and an italian father, but the singer chooses not to claim her white ancestry. (PR)
26 of 29
27. Singer Craig David has a grenadian dad and white-british mom. (PR)
27 of 29
28. The tall red-head Blake Griffin has a white mom and black dad. (PR)
28 of 29
29. Actress Tamara Taylor has a black father and a Scottish mother. (PR)
29 of 29