Well, as most of you know by now, Big Bird is on lock-down. That’s right, Sesame Street’s new “Little Children, Big Challenges” educational kit provides parents resources to help children cope with the incarceration of a parent.
This is both bold and timely, given the close to 2.7 million children who currently have a parent in prison, and the disproportionate number of African Americans who contribute to those numbers.
Sounds like a positive program.
Well not so fast say some people who argue that this effort promotes the ‘normalcy of having a parent in jail’ and therefore could send the wrong message to the same disadvantaged populations it is trying to help.
In other words, focusing too much attention on this harsh reality may, according to some, actually encourage it.
So I guess the question is whether Big Bird is helping or hurting?
One thing is for sure, the problem is here – whether we choose to address it or not 2.7 million children are affected by either mommy or daddy not being present in their daily lives because of incarceration, and this is a challenge.
Such questions and tensions over whether an alleged remedy is part of the problem are far from new. Just think about the traditional debate regarding sex education for teens and whether it actually deters pregnancies or promotes sex.
And once politics and ideologies get involved, these debates often become less sincere.
That said, to my thinking, it basically boils down to this fundamental question: Is the cost of not doing anything greater than the potential pitfalls of doing something…?
You see, once you put it in those terms, the answer becomes clearer. We’ll have to wait and see how he handles the issue, but I’d much rather have Big Bird guiding parents on how to address the emotional needs of children than Big Ostrich sticking his head in the sand and acting like the problem doesn’t exist.
Yes these issues are complex, and an appropriate solution is needed but we certainly can’t do nothing and magically expect the problem to go away.
I’ll leave you with this from anthropologist and author Margaret Mead:
“The solution to adult problems tomorrow depends on large measure upon how our children grow up today.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25