Highlight: This is Mazda’s first vehicle to incorporate the brand’s signature SKYACTIV technology, which helps to improve fuel economy, while combining both power and torque.
Test vehicle’s MSRP: $30,415 (Base Model starts at $21,790)
Seating Capacity: 5
Standard Safety Features: air bags (front, side and rear); ABS; traction control; a tire pressure monitoring system; a hill launch assist system; and daytime running lights
Standard Equipment: 17-inch wheels; a roof spoiler; automatic headlight shut-off; cruise control; cloth seats; exterior temperature display gauge; keyless entry; a push-button starter; a tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel; cruise control; and automatic speed sensitive door locks
Standard Audio: a 4-speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 player
Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty: 3 years or 36,000 miles
Powertrain Warranty: 3 years or 36,000 miles
Bluetooth Compatibility: Available
Standard Engine/Horsepower: 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder/155-hp
Recommended Fuel: Regular
Standard Fuel Mileage: 26-city/35-hwy
What’s New: The five-passenger CX-5 is all-new to the Mazda family. This is Mazda’s entry-level crossover. And the CX-5 is the first Mazda to wear the brand’s new corporate grille.
Pros: Mazda’s latest entry, the CX-5, is a worthy contender in the compact crossover segment. The CX-5 is roomy, fuel-efficient and provides great handling for an entry-level compact crossover. There is not another vehicle in this segment that offers this fun-to-drive experience.
Moreover, consumers in the market for a CX-5 have a choice of opting for a front-wheel drive or an all-wheel drive configuration, in addition to a variety of trim levels to meet their lifestyle. Buyers in the market for this spunky crossover can also opt for cloth seats in the lower trim levels, while navigating to a power driver’s seat, leather seats, heated front seats, a rear camera, a blind-spot lane-change system, a sunroof, 19-inch wheels and a 9-speaker Bose audio system in the higher trims.
Cons: Mazda engineers should consider adding an optional peppier engine for the stylish, well-built CX-5. Mazda is known for building spirited vehicles. The all-new CX-5 lacked that, with its sluggish 155-hp engine.
Furthermore, the engineers decided to incorporate a TomTom navigation system, as opposed to using another supplier to assist them with developing a system. In our eyes, that just isn’t acceptable, especially when being compared to high-tech systems being offered by both GM and Ford.
The Verdict: This well-built Mazda CX-5 is a spirited, easy to maneuver, fun-to-drive, compact crossover. The vehicle doesn’t disappoint. It provides the performance-oriented road manners we’ve come to expect from the Mazda brand even with the 155-hp engine. As a side note, a peppier engine will be available in the 2014 model.
Overall in the entry-level, compact crossover segment, there isn’t another vehicle that drives or handles like the all-new CX-5. Conversely, consumers seeking more high-tech, engaging interior features should seek out the CX-5 competitors. With those additional features offered by the competitors, consumers should also expect to pay a higher price tag, too!
Competition: Chevy Equinox, Ford Escape, GMC Terrain, Kia Rio and VW Tiguan
Jeff Fortson is an auto analyst and editor of a car-buying website for women and minorities. To learn more about his popular car-buying workshop and/or to price a new-vehicle, drive on over to JeffCars.com. Follow him twitter/JeffCars.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31