Highlight: This is Mazda’s first vehicle to incorporate the brand’s signature SKYACTIV technology, which helps to improve fuel economy, while combining both power and torque.
Test vehicle’s MSRP: $30,415 (Base Model starts at $21,790)
Seating Capacity: 5
Standard Safety Features: air bags (front, side and rear); ABS; traction control; a tire pressure monitoring system; a hill launch assist system; and daytime running lights
Standard Equipment: 17-inch wheels; a roof spoiler; automatic headlight shut-off; cruise control; cloth seats; exterior temperature display gauge; keyless entry; a push-button starter; a tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel; cruise control; and automatic speed sensitive door locks
Standard Audio: a 4-speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 player
Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty: 3 years or 36,000 miles
Powertrain Warranty: 3 years or 36,000 miles
Bluetooth Compatibility: Available
Standard Engine/Horsepower: 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder/155-hp
Recommended Fuel: Regular
Standard Fuel Mileage: 26-city/35-hwy
What’s New: The five-passenger CX-5 is all-new to the Mazda family. This is Mazda’s entry-level crossover. And the CX-5 is the first Mazda to wear the brand’s new corporate grille.
Pros: Mazda’s latest entry, the CX-5, is a worthy contender in the compact crossover segment. The CX-5 is roomy, fuel-efficient and provides great handling for an entry-level compact crossover. There is not another vehicle in this segment that offers this fun-to-drive experience.
Moreover, consumers in the market for a CX-5 have a choice of opting for a front-wheel drive or an all-wheel drive configuration, in addition to a variety of trim levels to meet their lifestyle. Buyers in the market for this spunky crossover can also opt for cloth seats in the lower trim levels, while navigating to a power driver’s seat, leather seats, heated front seats, a rear camera, a blind-spot lane-change system, a sunroof, 19-inch wheels and a 9-speaker Bose audio system in the higher trims.
Cons: Mazda engineers should consider adding an optional peppier engine for the stylish, well-built CX-5. Mazda is known for building spirited vehicles. The all-new CX-5 lacked that, with its sluggish 155-hp engine.
Furthermore, the engineers decided to incorporate a TomTom navigation system, as opposed to using another supplier to assist them with developing a system. In our eyes, that just isn’t acceptable, especially when being compared to high-tech systems being offered by both GM and Ford.
The Verdict: This well-built Mazda CX-5 is a spirited, easy to maneuver, fun-to-drive, compact crossover. The vehicle doesn’t disappoint. It provides the performance-oriented road manners we’ve come to expect from the Mazda brand even with the 155-hp engine. As a side note, a peppier engine will be available in the 2014 model.
Overall in the entry-level, compact crossover segment, there isn’t another vehicle that drives or handles like the all-new CX-5. Conversely, consumers seeking more high-tech, engaging interior features should seek out the CX-5 competitors. With those additional features offered by the competitors, consumers should also expect to pay a higher price tag, too!
Competition: Chevy Equinox, Ford Escape, GMC Terrain, Kia Rio and VW Tiguan
Jeff Fortson is an auto analyst and editor of a car-buying website for women and minorities. To learn more about his popular car-buying workshop and/or to price a new-vehicle, drive on over to JeffCars.com. Follow him twitter/JeffCars.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25