To most he’s a comedian and popular TV host, but to fans of the TV Land show “The Soul Man,” Cedric The Entertainer is Rev. Boyce “The Voice” Ballentine, a former soul singer turned pastor who moved from Las Vegas to St. Louis to take over his father’s church while still trying to adjust to his new role. Niecy Nash plays his wife, Lolli, who has an even more challenging time trying to adjust her mind (and necklines) to that of a First Lady. “The Soul Man” was recently awarded a second season which premieres tonight at 10 p.m. Eastern on TV Land.
“We’re glad that people tuned in and that the network took a chance on brining us back for the second season,” Cedric told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “We had to do a lot of campaigning to make sure that it was recognized. The numbers were really great for the network but we had to get more people over there, more of our folks to watch it on TV Land, so we did a second running on BET to get that awareness up. It’s going to take a great deal of support to make sure that people are tuning in and really loving the show.”
Though she plays a pastor’s wife, Nash’s impressive cleavage has almost become another character. When asked if the saints who watch had any reaction to this blatant display of Nash’s, um, womanliness, Cedric says they did.
“You know how the church is. [Niecy] calls on her blessings so she was just letting people count them,” he jokes.
On “The Soul Man” Reverend Ballentine is best known for his one big hit, but Cedric says there are a few more songs Ballentine recorded we don’t know about.
“He had “Spanking Ain’t Just For Kids,” that was a top record right there. And “I Didn’t Mean to Bite Your Thigh,” that was a hot one. That was one that got them through the early 80’s. That was big. “So Miserable Without You It’s Almost As Though You Were Here,” that was another one.” Cedric says his character was forced to leave soul music behind once the inevitable aging of his audience happened.
“Like all of us he was a sex symbol. He was Teddy Pendergrass up on that stage. Then he realized that it wasn’t thongs being thrown up on that stage anymore. He got hit with a Spanx one day and it felt as though the Lord was calling him on in.”
Although the cast realizes they have a responsibility to represent the Black church in a respectful way, “The Soul Man” is a comedy. So expect that in Season 2, even more straddling of that fine line will take place.
“We pushed the envelope even more so,” Cedric says. “It was one of those things as to where in the first season we wanted to tell the story of the guy and his transition and now I gotta live the lessons that we practice what we preach. You’ll see a lot of the things where we try to do the right things and we get caught up in them. We throw a party at our house and the wrong element shows up. That goes crazy. We do a same sex marriage and [that causes problems] with the older delegation. Paula Jai Parker is rocking a character and then Kim Wayans stops by and I do an episode about getting older and gotta get the prostrate exam. We’re trying to go a little bit outslde the church but still be related to what it is to be living on a righteous path.”
The second season of “The Soul Man” debuts tonight at 10 p.m. Eastern on TV Land.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31