To most he’s a comedian and popular TV host, but to fans of the TV Land show “The Soul Man,” Cedric The Entertainer is Rev. Boyce “The Voice” Ballentine, a former soul singer turned pastor who moved from Las Vegas to St. Louis to take over his father’s church while still trying to adjust to his new role. Niecy Nash plays his wife, Lolli, who has an even more challenging time trying to adjust her mind (and necklines) to that of a First Lady. “The Soul Man” was recently awarded a second season which premieres tonight at 10 p.m. Eastern on TV Land.
“We’re glad that people tuned in and that the network took a chance on brining us back for the second season,” Cedric told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “We had to do a lot of campaigning to make sure that it was recognized. The numbers were really great for the network but we had to get more people over there, more of our folks to watch it on TV Land, so we did a second running on BET to get that awareness up. It’s going to take a great deal of support to make sure that people are tuning in and really loving the show.”
Though she plays a pastor’s wife, Nash’s impressive cleavage has almost become another character. When asked if the saints who watch had any reaction to this blatant display of Nash’s, um, womanliness, Cedric says they did.
“You know how the church is. [Niecy] calls on her blessings so she was just letting people count them,” he jokes.
On “The Soul Man” Reverend Ballentine is best known for his one big hit, but Cedric says there are a few more songs Ballentine recorded we don’t know about.
“He had “Spanking Ain’t Just For Kids,” that was a top record right there. And “I Didn’t Mean to Bite Your Thigh,” that was a hot one. That was one that got them through the early 80’s. That was big. “So Miserable Without You It’s Almost As Though You Were Here,” that was another one.” Cedric says his character was forced to leave soul music behind once the inevitable aging of his audience happened.
“Like all of us he was a sex symbol. He was Teddy Pendergrass up on that stage. Then he realized that it wasn’t thongs being thrown up on that stage anymore. He got hit with a Spanx one day and it felt as though the Lord was calling him on in.”
Although the cast realizes they have a responsibility to represent the Black church in a respectful way, “The Soul Man” is a comedy. So expect that in Season 2, even more straddling of that fine line will take place.
“We pushed the envelope even more so,” Cedric says. “It was one of those things as to where in the first season we wanted to tell the story of the guy and his transition and now I gotta live the lessons that we practice what we preach. You’ll see a lot of the things where we try to do the right things and we get caught up in them. We throw a party at our house and the wrong element shows up. That goes crazy. We do a same sex marriage and [that causes problems] with the older delegation. Paula Jai Parker is rocking a character and then Kim Wayans stops by and I do an episode about getting older and gotta get the prostrate exam. We’re trying to go a little bit outslde the church but still be related to what it is to be living on a righteous path.”
The second season of “The Soul Man” debuts tonight at 10 p.m. Eastern on TV Land.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30