Jazzy R&B singer Chrisette Michele has a brand new CD out called “Better” and she’s currently on tour with Mary J. Blige. The Tom Joyner Morning Show caught up with her in the Red Velvet Cake studio for an In-Studio Jam and got the chance to ask her about the new CD, her fourth, the tour and more. Read on to see what she had to say.
On her new CD: Last time I was here I was very upset. The songs were sad. It was [about] a few names and a few metaphors. A lot of the songs on the last albums were about breaking up. It was a very ending-ish album. This album is about beginnings and more about healing and starting over from there. I didn’t know that healing was so available until now and that’s why I feel better. I’ve been healed.
On touring with Mary J. Blige: I’m trying to keep up with Mary and all her really cool outfits. So I bought one expensive pair of leather pants and I’m just going to wear them every single night. Her crowd is amazing. You can just feel the love and the energy and they’re there on time for an opening act. Thank you guys!
On getting healthier: I’m just working out the best me possible. Taking out animal products and meat out of my life just helped me feel very cleansed. But when you go to Barbados, it’s hard to not eat any fish so I don’t want to insult any vegans. So I would say a strict vegetarian and [even] that might get me in trouble with the [leather] pants!
On what she did between releases: I was performing and traveling, staying on the stage to keep my mind focused on creating new sounds and traveling to experience new art and new ideas. I went to Paris, London, Brussels, Amsterdam and Korea. I love the fashion in Korea; it’s so much fun to watch people wear clothes in Korea. Go by yourself. Take trains everywhere. That’s what I did.
On the CD’s highlights: “Visual Love” – Sometimes we get tainted by what we’re looking at and we forget to look inside of what we’re looking at. So I’m just letting people know I’m more than what you see. There’s a lot inside that I want you to love too. “Getting Through the Night” – This is melancholy. Gotta get through the darkness to get to the sunshine This is when I usually have a friend’s dog come over and just stay by the bedside and just pet the dog (laughs). “A Couple of Forevers” ( new song with the O’Jays “Stairway to Heaven” melody) I did it because of the nostalgia of the sound. I have a lot of fans who love old school R&B, so I thought it was appropriate to bring them in that way and allow them to hear something they love already and add a little bit to it if I could.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25