Jazzy R&B singer Chrisette Michele has a brand new CD out called “Better” and she’s currently on tour with Mary J. Blige. The Tom Joyner Morning Show caught up with her in the Red Velvet Cake studio for an In-Studio Jam and got the chance to ask her about the new CD, her fourth, the tour and more. Read on to see what she had to say.
On her new CD: Last time I was here I was very upset. The songs were sad. It was [about] a few names and a few metaphors. A lot of the songs on the last albums were about breaking up. It was a very ending-ish album. This album is about beginnings and more about healing and starting over from there. I didn’t know that healing was so available until now and that’s why I feel better. I’ve been healed.
On touring with Mary J. Blige: I’m trying to keep up with Mary and all her really cool outfits. So I bought one expensive pair of leather pants and I’m just going to wear them every single night. Her crowd is amazing. You can just feel the love and the energy and they’re there on time for an opening act. Thank you guys!
On getting healthier: I’m just working out the best me possible. Taking out animal products and meat out of my life just helped me feel very cleansed. But when you go to Barbados, it’s hard to not eat any fish so I don’t want to insult any vegans. So I would say a strict vegetarian and [even] that might get me in trouble with the [leather] pants!
On what she did between releases: I was performing and traveling, staying on the stage to keep my mind focused on creating new sounds and traveling to experience new art and new ideas. I went to Paris, London, Brussels, Amsterdam and Korea. I love the fashion in Korea; it’s so much fun to watch people wear clothes in Korea. Go by yourself. Take trains everywhere. That’s what I did.
On the CD’s highlights: “Visual Love” – Sometimes we get tainted by what we’re looking at and we forget to look inside of what we’re looking at. So I’m just letting people know I’m more than what you see. There’s a lot inside that I want you to love too. “Getting Through the Night” – This is melancholy. Gotta get through the darkness to get to the sunshine This is when I usually have a friend’s dog come over and just stay by the bedside and just pet the dog (laughs). “A Couple of Forevers” ( new song with the O’Jays “Stairway to Heaven” melody) I did it because of the nostalgia of the sound. I have a lot of fans who love old school R&B, so I thought it was appropriate to bring them in that way and allow them to hear something they love already and add a little bit to it if I could.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31