Since his retirement former heavyweight boxing champ George Foreman has been a busy man. He’s promoted his ever-popular George Foreman grill, Meineke auto repair shops, became a minister and rancher and raised his family – including his five sons famously named George. (Jr, III, IV, V, V1). Three of his sons have joined him in the fight promotion business (called what else, Foreman Boys Productions) and this weekend in Dallas, one of their marquee events is about to take place. Undefeated WBO featherweight champ Mikey Garcia (31-0, 25 KO’s) will take on former WBO featherweight champ Juan Manuel Lopez (33-2, 30 KO’s) at the American Airlines Arena this Saturday night in the first “HBO After Dark” fight that to be broadcast from Dallas.
Foreman says no matter the outcome of the fight, life is good.
“I’m doing really good,” he told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. Joyner will attend Saturday’s fight with his sons in Foreman’s box. “Everything is going just fine. I like the idea of being on the opposite of the boxing ring – this time outside the ring. “HBO After Dark” will be there with George Foreman and his sons – George and George, but I told George to stay out of it. George is in it too, but three is enough plus me that’s four,” Foreman jokes. If it’s hard to keep up with all the Georges, it may also be hard to keep up with the punches as both men are known for their counterpunching and their dominant knockout records. ‘
“I’m really curious about this too,” Foreman says. “You live by the left hook, you get knocked out by the left hook. You put that thing out there, you expose your chin. Joe Frazier never stopped throwing that left hook in that fight [vs. Ali] finally he knocked him down but he got up, though. I like watching fighters who throw that left hook. It’s daring.”
When Sybil questioned whether or not Black fighters were still dominant, Foreman gave his perspective.
“Everyone got accustomed to heavyweights, and for a long time George Forman, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier and all of us were on the scene. But in the lighter weights, a lot of guys just don’t go in. You have to be a big guy – football type player to be a heavyweight. That’s where that distinction comes in. But we’ve had a lot of fighters from all over that weight division in the lighter weights. Sugar Ray Robinson ruled the welterweight division.”
While Foreman came back to win the heavyweight title at 45, becoming the oldest man to do so, it’s unlikely there will be another comeback. Foreman blew out 64 candles on his birthday cake this year. But he says he did consider it some years ago.
“I told my wife I was going back at 55 .I was all set, in the gym working out and just as I was about to go back, she said ‘You’re not going back into boxing.’ I said ‘No one tell me what to do.’ Well, I never went back. I told her I could still do it. And she said “That’s how you want to leave the sport, feeling like you can still do it.” I was really in some of the best condition of my life at that age, but once in a while somebody has to tell you ‘Do something new. You can’t do the same thing forever.’ Let me get on the radio, that’s what I want to do. I’m in training.”
The Garcia/Lopez fight will air on “HBO After Dark” on Saturday, June 15 starting at 10:45 p.m. Tickets for the fight at the American Airlines arena are still available here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30