Dr. James “Butch” Rosser says it’s all good to make dad feel special on Father’s Day, but it is important to create a family health tree to let him know you would like to see him celebrate many more Father’s Days.
“You must make your loved one intimately aware of the fact that all you do is because of your love for them,” Rosser said.
Rosser, also known as “Dr. Butch,” is a renowned laparoscopic surgeon, educator, scientist, inventor, author and television personality, known for his appearances on the Dr. Oz show.
Make sure your father figures know the top five most common men’s health issues: heart disease, stroke, suicide and depression, lung cancer and prostate cancer and ask about the family’s health history. Not only do you need this information to help the men in your family get and stay healthy, but especially if you are a man, you should know what you need to be aware of in your own personal health journey.
Because health discussions can be intimidating, Rosser recommends making the chart a family exercise to help reduce the fear factor and make the process less of a depressing process that looks for what’s wrong.
Dr. Butch’s Medical Family Tree allows family members to fill in names, birthdates, gender, and health issues.
The point, Rosser said, is to focus on the positive and chart a path to wellness.
“Father’s Day has a very special profile that garners an opportunity for a special moment of intimacy between you, your father or significant other,” Rosser wrote with Robyn M. Gardner, MHE, PA-C, in “A Father’s Day Conversation about Men’s Health and Constructing a Medical Family Tree.”
“This is because for the most part, dads do not shut it down for all the other holidays. Like Moms, on the other holidays they are inundated by a bucket list of tasks and responsibilities. From barbecuing on the Fourth of July to putting tricycles together and carving the turkey at Christmas, dads tend to focus on things other than themselves.”
On Father’s Day, however, it’s all about dads and they are “a captive audience to their special tribute.”
So asking fathers and male family members questions about the family health history, if done right, Rosser and Gardner wrote, “can help them be with you for a long time.”
Click here for answers to your “Get Well Wednesday” questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25