Despite the tragic loss of Kriss Kross rapper Chris Kelly, Jermaine Dupri and So So Def, celebrating it’s 20th anniversary this year, will go on. Dupri will bring all of the acts that made his label great to the Tom Joyner Family Reunion in Orlando, Florida Labor Day Weekend August 29 – September 2.
Da Brat, Xscape, Bonecrusher and more will be onstage with the The So So Def reunion but it’s just one of the acts that will be there this year in an event that Tom Joyner likens to a the “family” version of the annual Fantastic Voyage cruise. “We’ll party all night,” he promises. Fantasia, Anthony Hamilton and other acts to be announced will also be in Orlando.
Dupri said he remembers fondly the beginnings of So So Def and the famous party scene that went along with it.
“My Atlanta parties period were some of the most incredible parties we ever had. We used to have the Freaknic here in Atlanta that was a time that came around that we all used to wait for, that we all miss now. The parties of today for Jermaine Dupri and So So Def are probably bigger now because the clubs are more exciting than they were back then. And I was a lot younger so my younger days I was going to clubs and not really knowing. Now the clubs are in my backyard.”
Bow Wow, one of So So Def’s biggest successes as a teenage star, is now hosting “106 & Park.” It’s a full-circle moment for the 26-year-old whose moniker was once “Mr. 106 & Park” because his videos were so popular on the show. Dupri says he’s proud of his protege’s success outside of the hip-hop arena.
“I told Bow Wow to take the job at “106 & Park,” Dupri says.”I thought he should have stopped rapping and stayed in movies because he’s more original and natural in movies. He never took lessons or none of that. He’s just a natural.”
While Kelly’s death was tough for the So So Def family, Jermaine says he’ll do his best to keep his memory alive. “We’re going to still rock and make sure people don’t forget the legacy of Kriss Kross.”
There may be no one more excited about the Family Reunion than Dupri, who says he hates to miss out on a good thing.
“I’m excited because I’ve never been. I hate not going to things so I get my opportunity this time.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25