Despite the tragic loss of Kriss Kross rapper Chris Kelly, Jermaine Dupri and So So Def, celebrating it’s 20th anniversary this year, will go on. Dupri will bring all of the acts that made his label great to the Tom Joyner Family Reunion in Orlando, Florida Labor Day Weekend August 29 – September 2.
Da Brat, Xscape, Bonecrusher and more will be onstage with the The So So Def reunion but it’s just one of the acts that will be there this year in an event that Tom Joyner likens to a the “family” version of the annual Fantastic Voyage cruise. “We’ll party all night,” he promises. Fantasia, Anthony Hamilton and other acts to be announced will also be in Orlando.
Dupri said he remembers fondly the beginnings of So So Def and the famous party scene that went along with it.
“My Atlanta parties period were some of the most incredible parties we ever had. We used to have the Freaknic here in Atlanta that was a time that came around that we all used to wait for, that we all miss now. The parties of today for Jermaine Dupri and So So Def are probably bigger now because the clubs are more exciting than they were back then. And I was a lot younger so my younger days I was going to clubs and not really knowing. Now the clubs are in my backyard.”
Bow Wow, one of So So Def’s biggest successes as a teenage star, is now hosting “106 & Park.” It’s a full-circle moment for the 26-year-old whose moniker was once “Mr. 106 & Park” because his videos were so popular on the show. Dupri says he’s proud of his protege’s success outside of the hip-hop arena.
“I told Bow Wow to take the job at “106 & Park,” Dupri says.”I thought he should have stopped rapping and stayed in movies because he’s more original and natural in movies. He never took lessons or none of that. He’s just a natural.”
While Kelly’s death was tough for the So So Def family, Jermaine says he’ll do his best to keep his memory alive. “We’re going to still rock and make sure people don’t forget the legacy of Kriss Kross.”
There may be no one more excited about the Family Reunion than Dupri, who says he hates to miss out on a good thing.
“I’m excited because I’ve never been. I hate not going to things so I get my opportunity this time.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31