DETROIT (AP) — A man rounding up his dogs late at night testified Wednesday that he warned Detroit police that children were inside a home moments before an officer burst through the door and fatally shot a 7-year-old girl.
Mark Robinson said a stun grenade thrown through a window to confuse people inside sounded like a “bomb going off.” He said he next heard a gunshot and a woman screaming, “Y’all killed my baby.”
“One cop ran out with Aiyana in his arms,” Robinson told jurors, referring to Aiyana Stanley-Jones.
Officer Joseph Weekley is on trial for involuntary manslaughter, accused of negligence in failing to control his submachine gun as he entered the home in search of a murder suspect in May 2010. Aiyana was shot in the head while sleeping on a couch near the front door.
Weekley contends that he accidentally fired the gun when Aiyana’s grandmother, also on the couch, reached for it. Prosecutors, however, said there was no struggle.
The third day of trial revealed tensions between police and prosecutors handling the case. While being questioned by the defense, Sgt. Anthony Potts described Weekley as a “damn good” officer and the department’s elite Special Response Team as “family.”
Moments later, assistant prosecutor Rob Moran’s voice rose as he challenged Potts: “Is that how you consider the defendant, like family? So you’re testifying against family?”
Earlier in his testimony, Potts hesitated when asked about training and how officers should handle a submachine gun. Moran wondered if Potts’ loyalty for Weekley was a factor.
“You had a hard time expressing what you wanted,” Potts replied, referring to the prosecutor’s questions.
Robinson lived in the two-story duplex where Aiyana was killed. He said he was still awake after midnight because his pit bull puppies had escaped under a fence. He said police forced him to the ground just as the raid was about to start.
“I’m yelling to them, ‘There’s kids in the house,'” Robinson testified. “They ignored me. They continued to bum-rush the house. That’s when the flash-bang was (thrown) and the shot went off.”
He said Aiyana was carried out “like a rag.” Potts said she was rushed to a hospital in less than eight minutes but didn’t survive.
The raid was recorded by a crew from the police reality show, “The First 48.” The jury saw short bits of video Tuesday.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30