Even when you try to eat healthy, you sometimes end up with things that aren’t actually as good for you as you might believe.
Between questionable labeling, varying reports over what’s good for you and what’s bad, getting a little help along the way is something just about everyone needs.
David Foreman, a retired pharmacist and author and radio host of “The Herbal Pharmacist,” says the devil is in the details when it comes to good nutrition.
“New research is constantly emerging about what we consume and whether or not it’s healthy for us,” Foreman said as he deconstructs a basic grocery list to suggest replacements for foods many people probably think are good for them.
Foreman said replacing the following items on a regular shopping list could make a significant difference in one’s health: beef; flatbreads and wraps; cranberry, orange and grape juices and soy milk.
Foerman said a recent study from the Cleveland Clinic revealed that some beef may carry TMAO, a hidden chemical that seeps into the blood stream and increases the risk of heart attack. He recommends eating red meat no more than a couple of times a week and to take a supplement called Sytrinol to reduce LDL, the bad kind of cholesterol.
Flatbreads and wraps contain potassium bromated – or brominated flour – which may be lined to kidney and nervous system disorders. Foreman recommended lettuce leaves for wraps because they are easy to use and have a lot less calories than bread.
Be careful when buying orange, cranberry and grape juices. While they can be a great source of vitamin C, antioxidants and resveratrol, many brands contain a lot of sugars and chemicals used to preserve the juices and maintain their color. Fresh or dried fruit are better substitutes.
And many people buy soy milk as a substitute for regular milk, especially for those who are lactose intolerant, but Foreman said excessive consumption of soy milk has been linked to an increased production of estrogen, which leads to other health risks, and some soybeans have been found to contain genetically modified organisms (GMOs), which have recently been in the news for causing a rash of health problems.
One possible alternative is almond milk, but buyers should check labels and avoid almond milk that contains carrageenan, a compound that has been linked to digestive tract problems.
“It’s always a good idea to take a step back and reevaluate your routine menus and make updates to it as new evidence emerges on what’s considered healthy,” Foreman said.
Click here for answers to your “Get Well Wednesday” questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30