Even when you try to eat healthy, you sometimes end up with things that aren’t actually as good for you as you might believe.
Between questionable labeling, varying reports over what’s good for you and what’s bad, getting a little help along the way is something just about everyone needs.
David Foreman, a retired pharmacist and author and radio host of “The Herbal Pharmacist,” says the devil is in the details when it comes to good nutrition.
“New research is constantly emerging about what we consume and whether or not it’s healthy for us,” Foreman said as he deconstructs a basic grocery list to suggest replacements for foods many people probably think are good for them.
Foreman said replacing the following items on a regular shopping list could make a significant difference in one’s health: beef; flatbreads and wraps; cranberry, orange and grape juices and soy milk.
Foerman said a recent study from the Cleveland Clinic revealed that some beef may carry TMAO, a hidden chemical that seeps into the blood stream and increases the risk of heart attack. He recommends eating red meat no more than a couple of times a week and to take a supplement called Sytrinol to reduce LDL, the bad kind of cholesterol.
Flatbreads and wraps contain potassium bromated – or brominated flour – which may be lined to kidney and nervous system disorders. Foreman recommended lettuce leaves for wraps because they are easy to use and have a lot less calories than bread.
Be careful when buying orange, cranberry and grape juices. While they can be a great source of vitamin C, antioxidants and resveratrol, many brands contain a lot of sugars and chemicals used to preserve the juices and maintain their color. Fresh or dried fruit are better substitutes.
And many people buy soy milk as a substitute for regular milk, especially for those who are lactose intolerant, but Foreman said excessive consumption of soy milk has been linked to an increased production of estrogen, which leads to other health risks, and some soybeans have been found to contain genetically modified organisms (GMOs), which have recently been in the news for causing a rash of health problems.
One possible alternative is almond milk, but buyers should check labels and avoid almond milk that contains carrageenan, a compound that has been linked to digestive tract problems.
“It’s always a good idea to take a step back and reevaluate your routine menus and make updates to it as new evidence emerges on what’s considered healthy,” Foreman said.
Click here for answers to your “Get Well Wednesday” questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31