We don’t normally report on Senator John McCain’s family matters, but today’s an appropriate time to do so.
The Arizona senator’s son, Jack was married over the weekend to Renee Swift. And you may have noticed that Ms. Swift, Now Mrs. McCain, is a person of color.
People reported that the younger McCain, 27, is lieutenant in the Navy and is based in Guam where he’s a helicopter pilot. Swift, 29, is from the Bay Area and is a captain in the Air Force reserve. They met in Guam.
The couple wed in San Francisco at Grace Cathedral and a reception followed at the California Academy of Sciences, according to a rep. The Washington Post reports that the event was attendend by all of the McCain children and even former presidential candidate Mitt Romney showed up at rehearsal dinner Friday night at the Tonga Room of the Fairmont Hotel
Meghan McCain, the groom’s sister, tweeted about the occasion throughout the weekend.
And speaking of social media, it comes as no surprise that folks are chiming in with well wishes for the couple, but of course there are those who still have issues with mixed marriages.
According to Cocoa Fab, on the McCain Facebook page, one commenter, Diann Daily, wrote: “No wonder McCain has crawled into bed with Obama…His son married a black girl! McCain is a RINO and a TRAITOR! Eeeewwwwwwwww…..”
Unfortunately others jumped and did the same thing, basically calling him a traitor. But not everyone who left messages is in the stone age. George Dwyer, who wrote “Did someone seriously post about this dude marrying a black chick like it was a bad thing? What dimension are you living in? Is it possible to be that ignorant in the year 2013?”
Unfortunately the answer is yes. However, that’s not going to stop the happy couple and wish them the best. By the way they plan to honeymoon in Africa and return to Guam.
1. Alfonso Riberio & Angela UnkrichSource:Twitter 1 of 36
2. Thandie Newton & Ol Parker2 of 36
3. Sharon Leal & Paul Becker3 of 36
4. Eve & Maximillion Cooper4 of 36
5. Evan Ross & Ashlee Simpson5 of 36
6. Zoe Saldana and Marco Perego6 of 36
7. Karyn Parsons & Alexandre Rockwell7 of 36
8. Heather Headley & Brian Musso8 of 36
9. Hank Baskett & Kendra Wilkinson9 of 36
10. Ron Perlman & Opal Stone10 of 36
11. Kimora Lee & Tim Leissner11 of 36
12. Soledad O'Brien & Brad Raymond12 of 36
13. Sidney Poitier & Joanna Shimkus13 of 36
14. Harry Belafonte & Pamela Frank14 of 36
15. Robert DeNiro & Grace Hightower15 of 36
16. Kanye West & Kim Kardashian16 of 36
17. Randy Jackson & Erika Riker17 of 36
18. Gary & Kenya Owen18 of 36
19. Darius Rucker & Beth Leonard19 of 36
20. Chris Ivery & Ellen Pompeo20 of 36
21. Iman & David Bowie21 of 36
22. Chris Noth & Tara Wilson22 of 36
23. Halle Berry & Oliver Martinez23 of 36
24. Ice-T & Coco24 of 36
25. Rick Fox & Eliza Dushku25 of 36
26. Tamera Mowry & Adam Housely26 of 36
27. Cash Warren & Jessica Alba27 of 36
28. Justin & Keisha Chambers28 of 36
29. Alfre Woodard & Roderick Spencer29 of 36
30. Oluchi Onweagba & Luca Orlandi30 of 36
31. Aisha Tyler & Jeff Tiejens31 of 36
32. Paul & Crystal Wall32 of 36
33. George Lucas & Mellody Hobson33 of 36
34. Dirk Notwitski and Jessica Olssen.34 of 36
35. David & Cathy Guetta35 of 36
36. tank-pr-photos136 of 36