So, this week, Michael Douglas had tongues wagging over his alleged statement that his throat cancer was caused by the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) transmitted during oral sex.
Thanks, Michael Douglas. No really, I’m not being sarcastic.
The one good thing from this story was that it brought to the forefront the importance of getting checked for the HP virus which is linked to cervical cancer in women, genital warts in males and females, as well as uncommon cancers such as penile, anal, head, throat and neck.
And while every sexually active man and woman should do all that it takes to avoid this common virus that affects more than 20 million people, parents like me with pre-teens have a very daunting decision to make—should or shouldn’t we vaccinate our sons and daughters against HPV.
At first it seems like a no-brainer. If there are currently 30 types of HPV and no cure insight, it only stands to reason that the number could multiply over the years. Why not be proactive and get our boys and girls a shot that protects against the development of cervical cancer and genital warts? The drug is approved for boys and girls from 9 to 26 years old, but doctors advise that children be vaccinated before they become sexually active.
But there are medical, moral and mommy questions to consider.
The product Gardasil manufactured by the Merk drug company is relatively new and there are possible risks that have not yet come to light. There’s already controversy over the most common childhood vaccinations. Celebrities Holly Robinson-Peete and Jennie McCarthy have both been very vocal about what they believe to be a link between measles vaccinations and their sons’ autism.
In 2010, there were more than 18,000 complaints reported that include mostly fainting and pain from the shot. But there have been reports of blood clotting too. However, according to the CDC, the risk of permanent side effects from a vaccination is about one in a million, or four a year.
Is getting your pre-teen a vaccination to fight against sexually transmitted disease giving him or her the green light to have sex? This is a real concern for people who are teaching their children abstinence. But realistically speaking, none of us can be certain that our kids will wait until they’re married to have sex and who’s to say their mate will? So, by getting them vaccinated, at least we’re looking out for their long-term future…long after we have any say over what they do and with whom.
Getting our children vaccinated for HPV is going to force us to have talk to our kids about sex whether we’re ready or not, especially if we wait until they’re older, which is what some doctors suggest. A friend of mine with a teen daughter was told by her doctor that it would be fine to wait until she’s sexually active to get the shot. No parent is looking forward to that day. Right now I can’t even imagine it, but as the mother of boys, I’ve got a decision to make. A new study shows that ear, nose and throat doctors are seeing more cases of throat cancer in younger men caused not by drinking and smoking, but by HPV.
So, along with the conversation about refraining from sex comes the talk about oral sex too. And I thought my 10 year old’s upcoming school project on the costal regions of Texas was challenging!
I still haven’t made a firm decision and would love to hear your comments.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31