BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Larry Langford blamed everyone but himself when he stood outside the courthouse moments after he was convicted on federal corruption charges and ousted as Birmingham’s mayor. He said he’d been treated worse than Jeffrey Dahmer, the infamous mass murderer and cannibal.
That remarkable exercise in free speech could cost Langford additional time in prison at his sentencing, one of Langford’s lawyers and a legal expert said Monday.
Federal judges can increase a criminal defendant’s sentence for a lack of remorse or to promote respect for the law, and Langford was hardly contrite during his statements to reporters just moments after his trial ended with a sweeping rebuke last week.
Langford mischaracterized the evidence against him more than once, claiming two main witnesses testified they never gave him anything. The two men actually told of showering Langford with checks, clothes and jewelry worth thousands.
Langford was just getting started. He went on for about 20 minutes, blaming racism and the media for his conviction. He accused jurors of sleeping during the trial and failing to look at the evidence. He said the government was out to get him.
“Hitler wasn’t treated this bad,” Langford’s wife, Melva, said.
“Jeffrey Dahmer wasn’t treated this bad,” added Langford.
Glennon F. Threatt Jr., one of two defense attorneys for the ex-mayor, fears the rant could mean additional time behind bars for Langford.
“I don’t want it to because he is my client. But if I were a federal judge I would not want people out there saying the system is racist and they were treated worse than Hitler,” Threatt said.
Langford, 63, faces what Threatt said is a likely sentence of 12 to 15 years imprisonment after being convicted on 60 felony charges including bribery, fraud, conspiracy, money laundering and filing false tax returns. He’s already agreed to forfeit $241,000 because of the conviction.
U.S. District Judge Scott Coogler has yet to set a sentencing date.
Federal judges have great leeway in imposing sentences, and they can go tougher on criminal defendants who fail to show sorrow for their crimes, said David E. Patton, an assistant professor and director of the criminal defense clinic at the University of Alabama law school.
“Certainly I wouldn’t be surprised if the judge takes into account his post-trial statements and his other statements at sentencing,” Patton said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31