Tayloni Mazyck, 11, was shot in the neck by a stray bullet in front her Bedford Stuyvesant (Bed-Stuy) home in New York and may never walk again, reports the Huffington Post.
Tayloni, known as “Tutu,” was outside with her mother and a baby cousin when Kane Cooper, 17, who lives one block away, walked up and opened fire on 2 men standing nearby.
Tayloni was stuck in the neck and the bullet became wedged against her spine. Though she has undergone surgery, the math whiz has no feeling in her legs and her arms just “tingle and hurt,” said her father.
Cooper was charged with attempted murder, assault, criminal use of a firearm and reckless endangerment.
The violence unfolded about 8:30 p.m. Friday when a 17-year-old gunman started unloading as he walked down Throop Ave, shooting at two men standing outside 590 Gates Ave., police said.
Tayloni was waiting for her aunt, Michelle Fitzpatrick, outside the door of her apartment building at 600 Gates Ave. when she was accidentally struck. Her mother and her aunt’s 7-month old granddaughter were with her at the time. No one else was injured.
Fitzpatrick said she was running late to pick up Tayloni and taker back to her home on McKinley Ave, Brooklyn. The girl usually stayed with her aunt on the weekend, and had grown up alongside her four female cousins. The girls were like sisters to each other, Fitzpatrick said.
“I had her with me since she was a baby,” she said. “She was just a joy to be around, full of life and energy. Now she is never going to be the same.”
The full extent of her injuries was still unknown following surgery on Saturday morning. Doctors told the family that Tayloni had no feeling in both her legs, and they were unsure if she would be able to walk again, said Fitzpatrick.
The injured girl was due to graduate from local elementary P.S. 44 later this month. A math and track team enthusiast, her elder brother Daiquan Mazyck, 15, said Tayloni had been talking about her graduation ceremony for weeks.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Tayloni Mazyck: 11-Year-Old New York Girl Paralyzed After Being Shot By Stray Bullet