Yet another reality TV show relationship bites the dust. It was just announced that Trina Braxton of the We TV hit show “The Braxtons” has finally filed for divorce from her cheating husband, Gabe. As you may recall, Trina was publicly humiliated by his cyber-cheating, but they both stepped out. Gabriel has admitted to cheating on Trina with numerous women in the past and Trina admitted to cheating on Gabriel — all of which played out on their reality TV show.
I’m surprised the marriage lasted as long as it did. But love is resilient, so you never know how much you can take until turmoil hits your life and you’re challenged by what’s in your head vs. what’s in your heart.
Nevertheless, the drama of relationships that we see play out on TV doesn’t even begin to compare to what people face on a daily basis in their real lives. But one thing I know for sure is that your relationship may be broken, but you don’t have to be. The key is to take care of yourself regardless of your relationship status. After all, it’s your responsibility to make your life work. If not you, then who? If not now, then when?
One day at the gym, I saw a sign on the wall that read, “While working out, make sure you drink water at least every 15 minutes in order to keep your body hydrated.” When our bodies become dehydrated, we can become dizzy, weak and suffer a loss of performance. When I saw this, I likened it to what happens to us personally when we don’t keep our spirit hydrated with what it needs to function at a high level.
Just like when we’re on a good stride on the treadmill, we often want to keep going, pushing ourselves and not stopping for rest or a sip of water. When we do this, similar to dehydration, we become weak, and ultimately we don’t think or perform at our personal best.
This same challenge can present itself in our personal relationships. Have you ever poured so much into trying to make a relationship work, doing whatever you could to push and move it in the right direction, that when you finally looked up, you lost yourself in the process? Your relationship may or may not have lasted, but your spirit, energy, and self-awareness dried up – or got dehydrated. Too often, what we fail to realize is that the more we nourish ourselves spiritually, mentally and emotionally, the better we are for ourselves and anyone who’s in our life. We know this on an intellectual level. It’s putting it into practice that gets difficult sometimes.
The hard reality is some people will take whatever you give out, but the return for you is worth very little. Are there people in your life who take from you constantly, but on the day you need encouragement and restoration, they’re nowhere to be found? Here’s a hint that it may be time to show them the door.
• If you can’t be your best self when they are around, you need to let them go.
• If you have to walk on eggshells or monitor your words extra carefully when they are around, you need to let them go.
• If you find that your spirit feels heavy when they are around and lighter when they are gone, you need to let them go.
• If loving them in any way hurts you, well, you know the answer: You need to let them go!
DEYA DIRECTIVE: Letting go is not about losing. It’s about freeing yourself and others from situations that are no longer working in your best interest. Let him, her, it, them GO; so that you might be light enough, agile enough and available for the gift of what’s next in your life – Go get it!
Deya “Direct” Smith, is a lead producer on the Tom Joyner Morning Show and host of Girlfriend FM & Beyond the Studio celebrity interviews. She is also the author of the best-selling book “Touch Yourself, 30 Ways to Live, Love and Let Go!” (www.touchmebooks.com) Deya is a life-style and inspirational speaker. Find her on Twitter@DeyaDirect and @Touchmebooks.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30