Crooner Joe Thomas knows how to please the ladies. At least with his music, the rest, only his personal friends can say for sure. The still single balladeer with the ordinary name has been making extraordinary music for years. His latest project “Doubleback: The Evolution of R&B” will hit the streets on July 2. He performed several songs from during his latest In-Studio Jam in the Red Velvet Cake studio and shared his musical inspiration and why having two minister parents hasn’t slowed him down.
TJMS: Do you do new music every year?
Joe: I like to keep it fresh. In the past I did 6 albums with Jive and took about two years between each one but now that I’m doing my own thing, I have a litte more incentive to work harder. I’m doing my Tom Joyner thing right now. I’m on my 10th album. July 2, “Doubleback the Evolution of R&B.” The whole concept is to go back and grab some of that old school feel which I love live music instruments horns I wanted to incorporate that into the style of music that I do but also keep it current at the same time. Hopefully that will inspired more young kids that want to be musicians and be inspired by the beautiful music that they hear like strings and incorporate that into today’s music. I miss it and I think instrumentation should certainly come back.
What song back in the day makes you think I need to double back to a song like….?
“Rocket Love” by Stevie Wonder. When you hear the instrumentation, strings are absolutely phenomenal. the composition. The musicians, first of all, are just remarkable, incredible. Everybody from the bass player to the drummer – that’s what I love.
Is songwriting hard for you?
I’m very fortunate that it comes pretty easy for me. I think being a musicians certainly helps out with songwriting. I play guitar, piano, drums, so that process is very smooth. I love doing it. A lot of what you heard – those are songs I wrote and produced myself. And I’m playing the instruments on them as well.
Really? Ain’t nobody getting money with Joe.
(Laughs) When your hear things a certain way and you want them to be a certain way. I produced records back in the day for Xscape, Babyface Tina Turner, Barry White, and when you’re writing songs like that you hear them a certain way and you want to paint the picture a certain way. And I’ve worked with artists, not any of the ones I just mentioned, who couldn’t paint that picture. I became very comfortable with the hands on process.
Have your minister parents heard “Sex Music Smoke and Liquor” yet?
They haven’t heard it yet. (Laughs) They say when you’re PK (Preacher’s Kid) sometimes we’re the baddest ones. I’m going all the way through with that whole image.
Watch Joe’s In Studio Jam here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31