I’m so proud of Oprah Winfrey and Tyler Perry. The two media power houses joined forces and it paid off big. The premiere episodes of “The Haves and the Have Nots ,” and “Love Thy Neighbor” broke records, making them the highest-rated shows to debut on the OWN network to date. We’re so used to seeing African-Americans accomplish great things that we sometimes take for granted this kind of news. But think about it. Oprah, a black woman born in poor, rural Mississippi and she’s running her own television network. Tyler Perry survived childhood abuse, dysfunction and homelessness.
Consider that in 1956, when NBC launched a TV series starring singer Nat King Cole they had to do so without a sponsor. Thinking that once they saw how sophisticated the show was, at least one national advertiser would line up, the network took a chance. When no sponsors stepped up, Nat King Cole pulled the plug on the show himself.
Let your kids know that there was a time when you’d flip on the TV and there was no BET, no TVOne, no black TV shows, and no black TV stars. When we were represented on television it was only as maids, butlers or some subservient role.
So now that we’ve come full circle with our OWN network, I have a couple of shows I would like to pitch to the network. Hey Oprah and Tyler! How about a Friday night line up from This Mofo Productions Presents:
“At Least I Got His A**”: It’s our version of snapped. We all know someone who has gone too far to get back at the man or woman who has done them wrong. They may get fired, they may go to jail, they may got publicly humiliated, but in the end they can say: At least I GOT his A**
In our first episode, Damon Williams tells us about his ex who waited until he paid off the last piece of furniture they purchased together, took off work, spent good money to rent a truck, got the key from the manager (her name was on the lease) and took everything in the house, including his brown eight- piece sectional couch. She risked everything and it cost her some money BUT “At Least She Got his A**.”
In the next episode, the man who claims to have dated the First Lady blows the whistle on the IRS. He waited 20 years and The Big Chief might have gotten Michelle, but “At least he GOT his A**.”
“That Big Negro Can Sing!” hosted by Ruben Studdard: This show features videos of Big Luther, Big Freddie Jackson and Barry White and Jennifer Hudson BEFORE Weight Watchers.
“That Negro Was Asking For It!”, starring Tavis Smiley and all the people who didn’t pay their taxes and/or owe child support: Lauryn Hill, Mary J. Blige, Ron Isley, Wesley Snipes and Jermaine Jackson.
“You Can’t Tell That Negro Nothin’!” Same cast as above plus Cornell West and DMX.
“That Negro Can Pray!” starring J.’s brother-in-law, Rev. Joseph Lowery, Myrlie Evers-Williams (no disrespect) and who ever is praying over the food on the day that you’re the most hungry.
This is just a few of the shows we plan to pitch. If you have ideas or would like to add to these, we welcome your input!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31