I’m so proud of Oprah Winfrey and Tyler Perry. The two media power houses joined forces and it paid off big. The premiere episodes of “The Haves and the Have Nots ,” and “Love Thy Neighbor” broke records, making them the highest-rated shows to debut on the OWN network to date. We’re so used to seeing African-Americans accomplish great things that we sometimes take for granted this kind of news. But think about it. Oprah, a black woman born in poor, rural Mississippi and she’s running her own television network. Tyler Perry survived childhood abuse, dysfunction and homelessness.
Consider that in 1956, when NBC launched a TV series starring singer Nat King Cole they had to do so without a sponsor. Thinking that once they saw how sophisticated the show was, at least one national advertiser would line up, the network took a chance. When no sponsors stepped up, Nat King Cole pulled the plug on the show himself.
Let your kids know that there was a time when you’d flip on the TV and there was no BET, no TVOne, no black TV shows, and no black TV stars. When we were represented on television it was only as maids, butlers or some subservient role.
So now that we’ve come full circle with our OWN network, I have a couple of shows I would like to pitch to the network. Hey Oprah and Tyler! How about a Friday night line up from This Mofo Productions Presents:
“At Least I Got His A**”: It’s our version of snapped. We all know someone who has gone too far to get back at the man or woman who has done them wrong. They may get fired, they may go to jail, they may got publicly humiliated, but in the end they can say: At least I GOT his A**
In our first episode, Damon Williams tells us about his ex who waited until he paid off the last piece of furniture they purchased together, took off work, spent good money to rent a truck, got the key from the manager (her name was on the lease) and took everything in the house, including his brown eight- piece sectional couch. She risked everything and it cost her some money BUT “At Least She Got his A**.”
In the next episode, the man who claims to have dated the First Lady blows the whistle on the IRS. He waited 20 years and The Big Chief might have gotten Michelle, but “At least he GOT his A**.”
“That Big Negro Can Sing!” hosted by Ruben Studdard: This show features videos of Big Luther, Big Freddie Jackson and Barry White and Jennifer Hudson BEFORE Weight Watchers.
“That Negro Was Asking For It!”, starring Tavis Smiley and all the people who didn’t pay their taxes and/or owe child support: Lauryn Hill, Mary J. Blige, Ron Isley, Wesley Snipes and Jermaine Jackson.
“You Can’t Tell That Negro Nothin’!” Same cast as above plus Cornell West and DMX.
“That Negro Can Pray!” starring J.’s brother-in-law, Rev. Joseph Lowery, Myrlie Evers-Williams (no disrespect) and who ever is praying over the food on the day that you’re the most hungry.
This is just a few of the shows we plan to pitch. If you have ideas or would like to add to these, we welcome your input!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25