LONDON (AP) — A prime suspect in the slaying last week of a British soldier sat handcuffed in court Thursday, given permission not to stand up before a judge because of wounds suffered when he was gunned down by police.
Michael Adebowale, 22, confirmed his name, address and date of birth as the investigation into the shocking killing entered its courtroom phase.
He is one of two men suspected of attacking Lee Rigby near military barracks in southeast London. The other, 28-year-old Michael Adebolajo, remains hospitalized and has not been charged. He is likely to be charged once he has recovered sufficiently to be released from hospital.
The daylight attack on Rigby by two men wielding knives and meat cleavers has aggravated tensions in Britain, especially since Adebolajo — carrying bloody weapons — invited onlookers to film him after the killing as he ranted about the British government’s presence in Muslim lands. There has been a surge in anti-Muslim protests and attacks on mosques since the killing, and far-right groups have mobilized.
Security was extremely tight for Adebowale’s first court appearance. He is scheduled to be back in court Monday for another hearing and remains in custody.
Adebowale was charged late Wednesday night, two days after he was released from hospital. He was also charged with threatening people with a revolver, police said.
Autopsy results made public Wednesday indicated that Rigby, 25, was first struck by a car and then attacked. He died of multiple stab wounds, the report said.
Both prime suspects were shot by police who arrived on the scene roughly 14 minutes after the soldier’s death. Video showed two suspects rushing a police car that arrived on the scene, then being shot by police and given first aid on the ground.
Britain’s Home Office, charged with managing Britain’s borders and internal security, confirmed Thursday that the Greenwich area, which includes the attack site in Woolwich, was deemed in a 2011 governmental review to be at a low risk of extremist activity and so did not receive anti-terror funding under a government program, called Prevent.
This designation was reversed a year later, meaning anti-terror projects there could again be funded, but no proposals for that area were approved in that time frame. Before 2011, the funding was used to bring young people into contact with Muslim soldiers and other veterans. Other funded programs encouraged sports, art and discussion programs.
The Prevent plan, part of a broader anti-terror strategy run by the Home Office, depends in part on the belief that “radicalization and recruitment can be identified and then provided with support” that keeps vulnerable individuals from embracing militant viewpoints, its website states.
The goal is to intervene and halt the radicalization process before a crime is committed.
Kenyan police have said they believed Adebolajo, a British citizen, had earlier associated with a radical Kenyan Muslim cleric who tried to help him join an al-Qaida-linked rebel group in neighboring Somalia.
Adebolajo was arrested with five other young men in November 2010 near the Kenya-Somalia border and eventually returned to Britain, police in Kenya said.
British officials said the two main suspects had been known to them for some time as part of previous investigations. The attack has raised questions about whether Britain’s intelligence services could have done more to prevent Rigby’s killing.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
24 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 24
2. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
2 of 24
3. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
3 of 24
4. Jus haaaanngin out
4 of 24
5. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
5 of 24
6. new new
6 of 24
7. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
7 of 24
8. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
8 of 24
9. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
9 of 24
10. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
10 of 24
11. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
11 of 24
12. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
12 of 24
13. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
13 of 24
14. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
14 of 24
15. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
15 of 24
16 of 24
17. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
17 of 24
18. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
18 of 24
19. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
19 of 24
20. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
20 of 24
21. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
21 of 24
22. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
22 of 24
23. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
23 of 24
24. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
24 of 24