Ruth Lucas was the first African-American woman to be promoted to colonel in the U.S Air Force. She joined the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps in 1942 after graduating from Tuskegee Institute with a degree in education and sociology. Soon after, she became one of the first African-American women to attend the Joint Forces Staff College. By the time Colonel Lucas retired in 1970, she was the highest-ranking African-American woman in the Air Force.
With a Masters degree from Columbia University, Colonel Lucas was also an Education Psychologist of the Air Force. Her objective within the Air Force was to raise the education levels of her fellow Air Force comrades. During that time, Lucas appeared in a full spread with Ebony Magazine (1969) where she stated, “among all the servicemen that enter into the military annually, about 45,000 of them read below the fifth-grade level, and more than 30% of these men are black.”
From 1951 to 1954, Colonel Lucas was stationed in Tokyo, and while she worked with the Air Force, she taught Japanese schoolchildren and high school students how to speak English during her off hours. She also served as Chief of the Awards division simultaneously. In 1967, Colonel Lucas worked with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) on improving test efforts in Washington DC. She also completed work with the National Urban League’s tutoring programs. A typical day for Colonel Lucas would begin with a briefing from the Acting Deputy Secretary of Defense for Education.
Colonel Ruth Lucas passed away in March of this year. She was given a ceremony with full military honors including gun salutes, an official Air Force band and soldiers on horseback at Arlington National Cemetery. Presiding over her services was Air Force chaplain, Maj. Robin Stephenson-Bratcher.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 30
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 30
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 30
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 30
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 30
6 of 30
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 30
8 of 30
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 30
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 30
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 30
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 30
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 30
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 30
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 30
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 30
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 30
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 30
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 30
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 30
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 30
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 30
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 30
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 30
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 30
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 30
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 30
28. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
28 of 30
29. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
29 of 30
30. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
30 of 30