LOS ANGELES (AP) — After a lackluster start to the year, the movie industry enjoyed its most robust Memorial Day weekend ever at the box office, with “Fast & Furious 6” speeding to the top spot.
The record-breaking four-day weekend generated estimated receipts of $316 million.
“Over $300 million for Memorial Day weekend has never happened before,” said box-office analyst Paul Dergarabedian of Hollywood.com. “This proves that when you have a great selection of films, audiences will line up at movie theaters in record numbers.”
The sixth installment of the “Fast & Furious” franchise debuted at No. 1 with $120 million, making it the biggest opening weekend for a Universal Pictures release, according to Hollywood.com.
Starring Vin Diesel, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Tyrese and Paul Walker, the muscle-car action romp took in an additional $158 million internationally.
Fans turned out because filmmakers upped the ante, said Nikki Rocco, Universal’s head of distribution.
“The creative team, the filmmakers and the studio put their heart and soul into making it bigger and better,” she said. “When you have this many films in the franchise … you have to take it in a new direction.”
The street racers battle both a tank and a plane in the film.
“It is the very definition of the summer popcorn movie,” Dergarabedian said. “You suspend disbelief, buckle up and go along for that ride.”
“The Hangover Part III,” starring Zach Galifianakis, Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms, opened in second place. The final chapter in the Warner Bros. raunchy comedy trilogy collected $51.2 million.
Paramount Pictures’ “Star Trek: Into Darkness,” which opened last week, added $47 million to its domestic ticket sales, landing at No. 3.
Fox’ animated “Epic,” the only non-sequel among the weekend’s five top-grossing films, opened in the fourth spot with $42.6 million.
“We did see a hole in the release schedule that said this is the perfect time to launch an animated film,” said Fox president of domestic distribution Chris Aronson. “It can be challenging to launch an original-content movie in such a competitive weekend, but this is a very special movie: A family movie as well as an all-audience movie.”
Now in its fourth week of release, “Iron Man 3” — which had the biggest opening so far this year — hung onto fifth place with $24.4 million.
The record-breaking weekend take bodes well for the summer movie season, Dergarabedian said: “This Memorial weekend is exactly what the industry needed and this momentum will carry forward.”
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Monday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Where available, latest international numbers are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Tuesday.
1. “Fast & Furious 6,” $120 million ($158 million international).
2. “The Hangover Part III,” $51.2 million ($19.2 million international).
3. “Star Trek: Into Darkness,” $47 million ($13.1 million international).
4. “Epic,” $42.6 million ($23.1 million international).
5. “Iron Man 3,” $24.4 million ($17.4 million international).
6. “The Great Gatsby,” $17 million ($24.4 million international).
7. “Mud,” $2.5 million ($400,000 international).
8. “The Croods,” $1.6 million ($5.8 million international).
9. “42,” $1.6 million.
10. “Oblivion,” $1.1 million ($2.3 million international).
Estimated weekend ticket sales at international theaters (excluding the U.S. and Canada) through Sunday for films distributed overseas by Hollywood studios, according to Rentrak:
1. “Fast & Furious 6,” $158 million.
2. “The Great Gatsby,” $24.4 million.
3. “Epic,” $23.1 million.
4. “The Hangover Part III,” $19.2 million.
5. “Iron Man 3,” $17.4 million.
6. “Star Trek: Into Darkness,” $13.1 million.
7. “The Croods,” $5.8 million.
8. “Oblivion,” $2.3 million.
9. “Evil Dead,” $2.2 million.
10. “Only God Forgives,” $1.5 million.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31