LOS ANGELES (AP) — After a lackluster start to the year, the movie industry enjoyed its most robust Memorial Day weekend ever at the box office, with “Fast & Furious 6” speeding to the top spot.
The record-breaking four-day weekend generated estimated receipts of $316 million.
“Over $300 million for Memorial Day weekend has never happened before,” said box-office analyst Paul Dergarabedian of Hollywood.com. “This proves that when you have a great selection of films, audiences will line up at movie theaters in record numbers.”
The sixth installment of the “Fast & Furious” franchise debuted at No. 1 with $120 million, making it the biggest opening weekend for a Universal Pictures release, according to Hollywood.com.
Starring Vin Diesel, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Tyrese and Paul Walker, the muscle-car action romp took in an additional $158 million internationally.
Fans turned out because filmmakers upped the ante, said Nikki Rocco, Universal’s head of distribution.
“The creative team, the filmmakers and the studio put their heart and soul into making it bigger and better,” she said. “When you have this many films in the franchise … you have to take it in a new direction.”
The street racers battle both a tank and a plane in the film.
“It is the very definition of the summer popcorn movie,” Dergarabedian said. “You suspend disbelief, buckle up and go along for that ride.”
“The Hangover Part III,” starring Zach Galifianakis, Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms, opened in second place. The final chapter in the Warner Bros. raunchy comedy trilogy collected $51.2 million.
Paramount Pictures’ “Star Trek: Into Darkness,” which opened last week, added $47 million to its domestic ticket sales, landing at No. 3.
Fox’ animated “Epic,” the only non-sequel among the weekend’s five top-grossing films, opened in the fourth spot with $42.6 million.
“We did see a hole in the release schedule that said this is the perfect time to launch an animated film,” said Fox president of domestic distribution Chris Aronson. “It can be challenging to launch an original-content movie in such a competitive weekend, but this is a very special movie: A family movie as well as an all-audience movie.”
Now in its fourth week of release, “Iron Man 3” — which had the biggest opening so far this year — hung onto fifth place with $24.4 million.
The record-breaking weekend take bodes well for the summer movie season, Dergarabedian said: “This Memorial weekend is exactly what the industry needed and this momentum will carry forward.”
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Monday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Where available, latest international numbers are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Tuesday.
1. “Fast & Furious 6,” $120 million ($158 million international).
2. “The Hangover Part III,” $51.2 million ($19.2 million international).
3. “Star Trek: Into Darkness,” $47 million ($13.1 million international).
4. “Epic,” $42.6 million ($23.1 million international).
5. “Iron Man 3,” $24.4 million ($17.4 million international).
6. “The Great Gatsby,” $17 million ($24.4 million international).
7. “Mud,” $2.5 million ($400,000 international).
8. “The Croods,” $1.6 million ($5.8 million international).
9. “42,” $1.6 million.
10. “Oblivion,” $1.1 million ($2.3 million international).
Estimated weekend ticket sales at international theaters (excluding the U.S. and Canada) through Sunday for films distributed overseas by Hollywood studios, according to Rentrak:
1. “Fast & Furious 6,” $158 million.
2. “The Great Gatsby,” $24.4 million.
3. “Epic,” $23.1 million.
4. “The Hangover Part III,” $19.2 million.
5. “Iron Man 3,” $17.4 million.
6. “Star Trek: Into Darkness,” $13.1 million.
7. “The Croods,” $5.8 million.
8. “Oblivion,” $2.3 million.
9. “Evil Dead,” $2.2 million.
10. “Only God Forgives,” $1.5 million.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30