Every day we are inundated with news, updates, leaks and gossip about our favorite celebrities. With so much competing news, it’s hard to shock us.
However, my mouth did drop when I saw the recent story about Tina Campbell of Mary Mary and her husband Teddy, who has apparently cheated on her and, as a result of that and presumably other issues; she attempted to stab him and considered divorce.
While Mary Mary have their critics who suggest that they are too worldly, I am personally a huge fan of Mary Mary, their music and their reality TV show. Last season, we saw Tina struggling to save her marriage and balance both a career and family all while being pregnant, again. I guess now we have a clearer understanding about some of her breakdowns and outbursts. What I know for sure is that there is always a story behind the story. That’s why it’s important not to judge because you never know what a person is really going through. You only know what you see and think. But that is not necessarily the reality or truth.
CHECK OUT MY THROWBACK VIDEO WITH MARY MARY ON PAGE TWO.
Now back to my mouth dropping. It was actually not about Tina and Teddy’s struggle. Unfortunately, there is nothing abnormal about people struggling to maintain a healthy relationship. Instead what surprised me most was their transparency of fighting for their relationship and their request for the public to pray and fast for one month.
Here’s what Teddy wrote:
“…If u are able to, please fast and/or pray daily that God would answer our prayer and give us a deeper love & commitment to Him and to each other. We believe He still works miracles and He can give us the greatest marriage we could have ever imagined.”
To me that was powerful. Why? Because they actually invited us in to do something with them that’s active and positive. This, instead of the usual gossiping and criticizing that come easiest, you know the stuff we do to distract us from our own drama. Somehow by discussing other people’s issues, it temporarily makes folks feel better about their life. But now that they are asking for help, what are we going to do?
Not only will I pray for their marriage, but I pray that their transparency will help others to be more honest about the reality of their struggles and, as a result, seek the help that they need to heal and be victorious!
Deya Directive: The one thing that I’ve learned on this journey of telling my truth, especially the scary stuff and secrets that cause fear and shame, is that once you get comfortable with your truth and discuss it openly, it takes the power of the negativity away. Revelation is about release. What secret is it time for you to get released from? I dare you to get free. Tell the truth and shame the devil!
Deya “Direct” Smith, is a producer on the Tom Joyner Morning Show and host of Girlfriend FM & Beyond the Studio celebrity interviews. She is also the author of the best-selling book “Touch Yourself, 30 Ways to Live, Love and Let Go!” (www.touchmebooks.com) Deya is a life-style and inspirational speaker. Find her on Twitter@DeyaDirect.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31