Last week, singer Kelly Rowland made headlines with a confession that she was, at one time jealous of Beyonce. Actually, it wasn’t a true admission but a sentiment implied through the lyrics of her new single, “Dirty Laundry.”
“She was up, I was downNo lie, I feel good for her but what do I do now?Forget the records, off the recordI was goin’ through some bulls**tPost-Survivor, she on fire, who wanna hear my bulls**t?”
Now, let’s not be not be naive about this thing. Kelly needs to sell some music and what better way than to have people to believe she’s had beef with former fellow Destiny’s Child member, Beyoncé. The song itself was actually written by The Dream, but that doesn’t mean that the hit was not inspired by some experiences the women might have had.
But there are a lot of women who are either victims or perpetrators of jealousy and envy, two emotions that are often interchanged.
Jealousy, by some definitions, is desperately wishing to hold on to what you have. Envy is desperately wishing to have what belongs to someone else.
Dr. Lawana Gladney, an Emotional Wellness Doctor, says that jealousy is steeped in insecurity. Adding that, “Heavy jealously that crosses the line, is when you are not happy for them, think that it is unfair, don’t feel like you can get what they have, and secretly harbor feelings that you hope they crash and burn.”
Both envy and jealousy take up useful space in our hearts, souls and minds squeezing out room for hope, light, and positive energy.
I think the feelings Kelly expresses about Beyoncé are pretty normal. The problem comes when you become consumed with jealousy and envy to the point that you’re concentrating more on someone else than you are on yourself.
I was at a conference over the weekend with at least 200 hundred women who had come together to learn, grow and support each other. Motivational Speaker and Transformational Coach Nicole Jones Roberts opened the conference by inviting us to step into our greatness and give ourselves to be the giants that we already are.
Speaking of giants, the conference was hosted by Lisa Nichols. You may know Lisa from The Secret and Chicken Soup For The African-American Woman. What you may not know about Lisa is that in less than two weeks, her company – Motivating The Masses – will be the first self-development company to be traded publicly on Wall Street and is projected to be worth 40 million dollars.
Talk about playing big.
Lisa could not have accomplished all that she has by dimming her light in order to make others feel comfortable. She couldn’t have built such an empire while worrying what other people were doing and/or worry what others were thinking about what she was doing.
When it’s time for the star within us to shine brightly, we should worry less about the people who are intimidated by our glow and more about those trying to extinguish it.
It’s not the jealous haters you have to worry about. The people you really need to keep your eye on are those who appear to be cheering you on but are really hoping to see you fail. You can tolerate the haters (haters are often too lazy to do anything but talk bad about you) BUT envious people will try to take you out.
And it’s just as dangerous if it’s living inside of us. It’s a toxic emotion that will kill your dreams. It will also draw other negative envy people toward you. If you find a way to eliminate envy from within, you’ll find that there will be fewer envious people around you. You attract what and who you are.
Whether you’re the Beyoncé or the Kelly in this situation, if jealousy and envy are weighing you down, check your circle … but check yourself first.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Kelly was Jealous of Beyoncé: Anybody Mad?