Baltimore Raven Jacoby Jones may not have gone home with another shiny trophy this year but one thing he always can count on is the support of his mother, Emily London Jones. Throughout his weeks on “Dancing With the Stars,” which was ultimately won by “American Idol” singer Kellie Pickler and her partner Derek Hough, Jones was there, whether she was calling the judges “haters” or waving her own bling-festooned paddle. Jones, a New Orleans native, is well known by her son’s teammates for her Cajun cooking, but this season on “DWTS” she was almost as popular as he was. Despite the loss, Jones is happy with her son’s Top 3 finish.
“I’m well. I’m happy after packing all of Jacoby’s things to get him back to Baltimore,” Jones told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “I was surprised. I really thought he would take it all. At the end of the day it’s bitter and sweet but Jacoby had a good time and I did too – of course you all saw that.”
Jacoby, 27, told “Dancing With the Stars” host Brooke Burke-Chavet that his dance training was as tough, if not tougher, than football.
“Well, out of all my trainers that I’ve had, I’ve never had a woman that’s pushed me like she did,” Jones said of his partner, Karina Smirnoff.
“So, when I go back (to the NFL), all this gracefulness, footwork, everything…I’ll be catching the ball like this,” he said, showing off his newly-found pirouette skills.
Both Jones’ are heading back to Baltimore, but Sybil wondered if reality show producers have come calling Jones for a show she entitled “That’s My Son, Leave Him Alone!” Jones’ relationship with the judges was made obvious on national TV when she mouthed her feelings about the scores her son was receiving.
“I had no idea that the moment I called them ‘hater hater hater’ that it would be on national TV, because I thought I was saying it really to myself. But lo and behold , they picked it up. [From that point on] they were across the stage from me and we looked eye and eye and of course I told them ‘I got my eyes on you.’ But they constantly watched me because they didn’t know what to think next or what would happen.”
We will likely see more of Ms. Jones on the Ravens sideline this year as they defend their Super Bowl title. Aside from her son’s biggest cheerleader, Jones is a success story in her own right. As a single mom, she attended Xavier University heading back to school when Jacoby was 3, ultimately earning her master’s degree. She encouraged Jacoby to return to his alma mater, Lane College, a small HBCU in Tennessee to get his degree. She says what she learned as a single mom is that you can’t raise a child alone.
“I’m single mom but it takes a village to raise a child and that’s the philosophy I had. He has had so many wonderful people around him and he does respect them. That’s what makes the big difference in today’s world.You can respect others and others respect you. It all comes through raising your boys the right way.”
After settling her son back at home in Baltimore, Jones heads back to Xavier University where she works in the Financial Aid department.
“I’m fast-talking, fast-walking, getting things done on that campus. I may be a twitch of light when I pass by people. I’m always on the move.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25