Baltimore Raven Jacoby Jones may not have gone home with another shiny trophy this year but one thing he always can count on is the support of his mother, Emily London Jones. Throughout his weeks on “Dancing With the Stars,” which was ultimately won by “American Idol” singer Kellie Pickler and her partner Derek Hough, Jones was there, whether she was calling the judges “haters” or waving her own bling-festooned paddle. Jones, a New Orleans native, is well known by her son’s teammates for her Cajun cooking, but this season on “DWTS” she was almost as popular as he was. Despite the loss, Jones is happy with her son’s Top 3 finish.
“I’m well. I’m happy after packing all of Jacoby’s things to get him back to Baltimore,” Jones told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “I was surprised. I really thought he would take it all. At the end of the day it’s bitter and sweet but Jacoby had a good time and I did too – of course you all saw that.”
Jacoby, 27, told “Dancing With the Stars” host Brooke Burke-Chavet that his dance training was as tough, if not tougher, than football.
“Well, out of all my trainers that I’ve had, I’ve never had a woman that’s pushed me like she did,” Jones said of his partner, Karina Smirnoff.
“So, when I go back (to the NFL), all this gracefulness, footwork, everything…I’ll be catching the ball like this,” he said, showing off his newly-found pirouette skills.
Both Jones’ are heading back to Baltimore, but Sybil wondered if reality show producers have come calling Jones for a show she entitled “That’s My Son, Leave Him Alone!” Jones’ relationship with the judges was made obvious on national TV when she mouthed her feelings about the scores her son was receiving.
“I had no idea that the moment I called them ‘hater hater hater’ that it would be on national TV, because I thought I was saying it really to myself. But lo and behold , they picked it up. [From that point on] they were across the stage from me and we looked eye and eye and of course I told them ‘I got my eyes on you.’ But they constantly watched me because they didn’t know what to think next or what would happen.”
We will likely see more of Ms. Jones on the Ravens sideline this year as they defend their Super Bowl title. Aside from her son’s biggest cheerleader, Jones is a success story in her own right. As a single mom, she attended Xavier University heading back to school when Jacoby was 3, ultimately earning her master’s degree. She encouraged Jacoby to return to his alma mater, Lane College, a small HBCU in Tennessee to get his degree. She says what she learned as a single mom is that you can’t raise a child alone.
“I’m single mom but it takes a village to raise a child and that’s the philosophy I had. He has had so many wonderful people around him and he does respect them. That’s what makes the big difference in today’s world.You can respect others and others respect you. It all comes through raising your boys the right way.”
After settling her son back at home in Baltimore, Jones heads back to Xavier University where she works in the Financial Aid department.
“I’m fast-talking, fast-walking, getting things done on that campus. I may be a twitch of light when I pass by people. I’m always on the move.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31