Afterwards, I was initially looking for a relationship. I guess you could say I was a bit naive walking into situations. But I soon learned that men (some, not all) will lie to ahem, get to the land of milk and honey, I learned that lesson the hard way. Everything would be sweet in the beginning, non-stop text messages and flowing conversation. The minute we had sex (well maybe a bit after), all of a sudden I hear “Oh, I’m busy” or even worse, nothing–you know, the no call or text back.
So because I became the unofficial brand ambassador for picking bad dudes, I’ve since, unconsciously built a wall. (Dear Lord, now I sound like a girl).
Since I have been hurt in the past, i.e. finding out via Facebookthe guy I was with was “friends” with a busty brunette, or getting a phone call from another guy’s girlfriend asking “so am I the side chick or are you?” I won’t even allow myself to get excited about a guy, which in my mind means I won’t even take a date seriously.
I think I’ve conditioned myself to believe that I’ll always get disappointed (at best) or hurt. So when I’m on a date, I’m cordial, funny even flirtatious, but I’m just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Plus, the unwritten rules when it comes to dating are so confusing! Who should text who first? When you get a text, how long should you wait before responding so you don’t look thirsty? Is it okay for you to initiate a potential hang-out? If you two have sex, does that mean you two are exclusive or does it mean you both can poke other people on Facebook?
Am I ready for a full-fledged relationship? No. But I need to learn how to go on dates, enjoy them for what they are and not 30 minutes in expect us to melt into a relationship.
Since my last relationship failure, I haven’t been on not ONE date, despite having a small hunger pang for it in the pit of my stomach. The problem of not knowing how to date has morphed into a issue of not knowing how to meet a guy. On top of that, I’ve departed from those old-fashioned rules of waiting for a man to pick me and I’m proactive about flirting with men. But, this hasn’t merited me anything or anyone, for that matter.
Is there something I’m missing? It’s a like piece of the puzzle missing. I can get a man’s attention just fine. But it’s getting them to date me and stay tuned in that’s causing me to wonder if it’s me.
Someone help! What do I do? How do I turn my bad luck with men into something fun, flirty and full of good times?
Like HelloBeautiful on Facebook to stay on top of your favorite black celebrities:
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading CHICK CHAT: Help! I Don’t Know How To Date!