Afterwards, I was initially looking for a relationship. I guess you could say I was a bit naive walking into situations. But I soon learned that men (some, not all) will lie to ahem, get to the land of milk and honey, I learned that lesson the hard way. Everything would be sweet in the beginning, non-stop text messages and flowing conversation. The minute we had sex (well maybe a bit after), all of a sudden I hear “Oh, I’m busy” or even worse, nothing–you know, the no call or text back.
So because I became the unofficial brand ambassador for picking bad dudes, I’ve since, unconsciously built a wall. (Dear Lord, now I sound like a girl).
Since I have been hurt in the past, i.e. finding out via Facebookthe guy I was with was “friends” with a busty brunette, or getting a phone call from another guy’s girlfriend asking “so am I the side chick or are you?” I won’t even allow myself to get excited about a guy, which in my mind means I won’t even take a date seriously.
I think I’ve conditioned myself to believe that I’ll always get disappointed (at best) or hurt. So when I’m on a date, I’m cordial, funny even flirtatious, but I’m just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Plus, the unwritten rules when it comes to dating are so confusing! Who should text who first? When you get a text, how long should you wait before responding so you don’t look thirsty? Is it okay for you to initiate a potential hang-out? If you two have sex, does that mean you two are exclusive or does it mean you both can poke other people on Facebook?
Am I ready for a full-fledged relationship? No. But I need to learn how to go on dates, enjoy them for what they are and not 30 minutes in expect us to melt into a relationship.
Since my last relationship failure, I haven’t been on not ONE date, despite having a small hunger pang for it in the pit of my stomach. The problem of not knowing how to date has morphed into a issue of not knowing how to meet a guy. On top of that, I’ve departed from those old-fashioned rules of waiting for a man to pick me and I’m proactive about flirting with men. But, this hasn’t merited me anything or anyone, for that matter.
Is there something I’m missing? It’s a like piece of the puzzle missing. I can get a man’s attention just fine. But it’s getting them to date me and stay tuned in that’s causing me to wonder if it’s me.
Someone help! What do I do? How do I turn my bad luck with men into something fun, flirty and full of good times?
Like HelloBeautiful on Facebook to stay on top of your favorite black celebrities:
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading CHICK CHAT: Help! I Don’t Know How To Date!