Breaking News: I don’t know how to date! No seriously. It’s an issue that’s always been happening, but I wasn’t aware until I looked up from a long list of unsuccessful relationships, flings or whatever you want to call them.
As an almost 28-year-old woman, I have somehow figured out how to correctly apply my makeup, graduate from college and inherently know the exact moment when to flip the pancake over in the pan to garner a golden brown hue. But when it comes to dating guys, your girl is lost.
Part of the reason is because I’m a relationship gal. I’ve had three major relationships. The first was in college with a light-skin cutie from New Jersey. I was a sophomore and he was a senior. He drove a Mustang and had hazel eyes. Ugh, he was so dreamy, and all the girls wanted him. But that fairy tale soon came to an end when he got accepted to graduate school in Cali and I took my first reporting job in Chicago. We decided to part ways on a good note and not let the relationship fizzle because of distance.
The next guy I was with wasn’t the absolute worst, but let’s just say he was the absolute worst. He brought selfishness to a new level. After I successfully pulled off a surprise birthday party and bought him some Jordans, when June 17th came around (my b-day) I think I got a partially melted cake. That’s how he showed his love.
My last relationship was three years ago when I lived in Chicago. He was a charming brown-skin dude from the South Side and a fellow writer. We were together for two years. The first year was filled with nothing but laughs and reckless love. The second year, when we decided to move in with each other and combine finances was the death of us. The stress of not knowing how to run a household, coupled with not having enough money to pay our individual bills, combined with rent was a sure-fire way to bring our young love to a close.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading CHICK CHAT: Help! I Don’t Know How To Date!