Highlights: All Volvos include complimentary maintenance for 3 years or 36,000 miles. The R designated Volvo is the brand’s performance oriented model.
Test vehicle’s MSRP: $45,495 ($32,645 without options)
Seating Capacity: 5 occupants
Standard Safety Features (R Package): airbags (driver, front, curtain and side); ABS; Volvo’s Whiplash system; a tire pressure monitoring system; and rear fog lights
Standard Equipment (R Package): 18-inch wheels; power seats; 3-position memory driver’s seat; power sunroof; a manual tilt/telescopic steering wheel; a rear spoiler; Xenon headlights; sport chassis; a 7-inch display screen; and rain-sensing wipers
Standard Audio: a 16-watt, 8-speaker AM/FM/HD/CD with XM satellite radio
Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty: 5 years or 50,000 miles
Powertrain Warranty: 5 years or 50,000 miles
Bluetooth Compatibility: Included
Ipod Compatibility: Included
MP3 Capability: Included
a USB audio interface: Included
R- Package Standard Engine/Horsepower: 3.0-liter, 6-cylinder/325-horsepower
Standard Fuel Mileage: 18-city/25-hwy
Pros: The Volvo S60 T6 R package is the Swedish automaker’s answer to those yearning for a performance-oriented vehicle. Volvo’s snappy 325-horsepower engine is complimented by the R-Design package, which consisted of a rear and lower front spoiler, rear diffuser polished tailpipes, aluminum sport pedals, a perforated leather steering wheel and a leather gearshift knob.
Besides the performance package, our Volvo was outfitted with the brand’s latest safety feature, which is known as City Safety. This feature allows the driver to prevent an accident, when driving at 30 miles per hour (or less) if it senses a collision is likely. The car will either prepare the car to brake or it could automatically apply the brake, if it senses that the driver is in immediate danger of a rear-end collision.
Moreover, Volvo’s whiplash designed orthopedic front seats are one of the best in the industry. Yes, this is the first Volvo we have reviewed that makes great strides at mixing safety, performance and style. It didn’t hurt that the vehicle we reviewed wore a vibrant blue exterior paint color to compliment the 18-inch black shoes.
Cons: The Volvo S60 T6 R packaging lacked the availability of a navigation system, a power tilt/telescopic steering wheel and a rear back-up camera. In order to have most of these features, Volvo’s ordering system requires that buyers step-up to the $2,700 Platinum package. And with this being a premium class vehicle, a navigation system should be standard or at least a standalone option for a luxury vehicle.
In fact, our opinion, in today’s high-tech environment, the must-have noted features are available in non premium segments that cost half the price. Ironically, a rearview camera is now standard in the value-oriented Honda Civic, which cost’s less than half of the price of the Volvo we reviewed.
Furthermore, the interior designers should consider doing a major rework on the S60’s drab, dark instrumental panel. And as an added measure, the engineers should also incorporate a power heated steering wheel too, truly making this a luxury vehicle. Yes, even the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima offers a heated steering wheel in its upgraded models.
Verdict: The second-generation front-wheel drive S60 received its last major update in 2010. This compact premium class vehicle from Sweden offers lots of thrills for a brand known more for safety than performance. Our S60, with the R-designation, adds an excitement level that makes this one appealing vehicle. Although this isn’t a true die-hard performance vehicle, it sure does show that Volvo can think outside of the box.
Competition: BMW 3-Series, Audi A4, Cadillac ATS and Infiniti G37 (Q50)
Jeff Fortson is an auto analyst and editor of a car-buying website for women and minorities. To learn more about his popular car-buying workshop and/or to price a new-vehicle, drive on over to JeffCars.com. Follow him http://twitter.com/#!/JeffCars/.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30