“American Idol” has crowned a new diva. The 23-year-old from St. Helena Island, S.C. took the Season 12 honors in a year that was marred by public catfighting between rapper Nikki Minaj and singer Mariah Carey as well as the lowest ratings in “Idol” history. Glover was part of the first all-female final since Season 3 when North Carolinian Fantasia Barrino took the crown, outlasting country singer Kree Harrison. For Glover, third time’s the charm – she also auditioned in Seasons 9 and 11 but ultimately fell short.
“Season 9 I made top 70 and Season 11 I made top 60 and I wasn’t going to come back I found myself on the website anyway looking up auditions for Season 12 so I did it one more time. My mom and my dad cared so much about me and didn’t want to see my hurt so they said maybe we should think of a different way to start your career. I wanted to do it so they stuck by me whatever my choice was and I’m glad they did.”
Though Glover, who was inspired by singer Christina Aguilera to start a singer career of her own says that she dreamed of success for years. Her roundabout way to the “Idol” win has inspired many who appreciated that she didn’t give up on her dreams. Her 3 “Idol” stints made her able to outlast the competition in the end. Though Mariah Carey and Nikki Minaj (who cried) were among her supporters this season, she didn’t have as much support in previous seasons.
“I got cut in Vegas week. So that was in December and I let the whole season go by from January to May and then audition cities came up. My friends Jessica Sanchez and D’Andre were all on that season so I was still voting and stuff so I thought about them and I was like this could be me if I try one more time. The reason why I auditioned in Season 11 was because of the change in the judges. Simon was there my first time and he wasn’t a fan. That was a really hard season for me. I was only 19 didn’t really know who I was or anything. J. Lo and Steven Tyler they were really nice. So I really enjoyed them.”
This season proved to be the one for Glover, who belted out classic songs like “I Who Have Nothing)” “Somewhere” and a memorable performance of “Inseparable” with former Idol runner-up Jennifer Hudson. She also did her own version of The Cure’s “Lovesong,” which some critics said was among her best performances of the season.
Glover is proof positive that if at first you don’t succeed, keep trying. The once aspiring pyschologist who say her music has now become her way of counseling stayed the course and it worked out for her. Without her willingness to do it again, and her family’s support (they made the trip every week to see her perform) she might not have eventually become an “Idol” with an album, “Music Speaks” ready to go on July 16. It’s available for pre-orders now and her single “I Am Beautiful” has been released.
“Last July I would have been in an office sweating because so many people wanted to get a golf cart from me and now I have an album coming out in July. Girls tweet me @CAndiceAI12 all the time and tell me that I’m an inspiration for them and the song makes them feel beautiful whatever they’re going through and whatever people tell them. Whatever you want to be in life no matter who tells you no, there’s a yes down the line no matter what.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31