The Cemetery on Red Bank Avenue in Woodsbury, New Jersey was founded in 1832. The land was the final resting place for 47 blacks before and after Emancipation. Eleven Civil War veterans and a prominent AME bishop were buried there, which is now a hospital parking garage. In 1962, those buried were transferred to the Presbyterian Cemetery on North Broad Street.
A plaque at the new Broad Street Cemetery honors those blacks who were buried on what was considered sacred ground of the past. Now an effort is underway to put a historical marker at the original cemetery at the parking garage. Gloria Holmes of the Woodbury African-American Oral History Project has been working for nearly a decade to get recognition for the past burial grounds.
Holmes addressed the Woodbury City Council to appeal for a historical marker at the parking garage at the Inspira Medical Center Woodbury.