Usher Raymond IV may have been born to sing.
As a youngster, he sang in the choir, and as his family watched his talent develop, they made what would be a fateful decision – to move from Chattanooga, Tennessee to Atlanta, Georgia, where a more fertile music scene was growing.
Turns out his family was right to believe in his musical skills. The Recording Industry of America has certified Usher as one of the best-selling acts in history, selling over 65 million records in his career. And he’s achieved all this success – including a shelf full Grammys, BET, Soul Train and American Music Awards at just 32 years old. To boot, he’s also considered responsible for the discovery and development of another young pop sensation: Canada’s Justin Bieber.
Usher started his professional career as a teenager, releasing his self-titled debut in 1994. He was discovered via an appearance on “Star Search,” a distinction he shares with another pop superstar, Beyonce, who also competed on the show. He was mentored by Jermaine Dupri and P. Diddy, who helped shaped the young man’s sound and showmanship. Their influence must have stuck, as his next CD, 1997’s “My Way,” went platinum off the strength of the singles “You Make Me Wanna” and “Nice and Slow.” Well on his way to heartthrob status, Usher continued his success with his next effort, 2001’s “8701,” which hurtled him to the top of the charts and made him the most popular young artist in R&B.
CLICK HERE to view the Usher photo gallery.
From that point on, the successes have been frequent. “Confessions,” his top-seller to date, was the CD that helped place Usher into a rare stratosphere of multi-platinum selling artists, and he’s barely looked back since its 2004 release. While his short-lived married to Tameka Raymond, his former stylist, was blog fodder, (but still produced two beautiful sons) his career recovered. “Here I Stand,” recorded around his marriage, may not have been as popular an album as “Confessions,” but he soon rebounded with “Raymond vs. Raymond” and reigned once again at the top of the charts. (And many consider “Here I Stand” his most mature yet.)
Despite his youth, Usher has made a mark on the music industry that few can contest. Given what seems to be the lack of any new artists with his complete set of skills following in his coordinated footsteps, Usher can hold the throne of R&B’s top male solo artist for some time. He will just be 33 this year, still a prime age for artistic achievement. If he can top all that he’s already achieved, then he’ll definitely join his predecessors in music history – and that’s aside from the history he’s already made.
What’s next? He’s yet to announce it, but his fans, detractors and his competition – if there is any – will surely be waiting to see what Usher has in store.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25