It was the hottest single of 2000s. Its video made Kanye West the most hated man in America.
Though, at first, it seemed just a catchy pop song, Beyonce’s “Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)” turned out to be so much more. From the single ladies of America who could relate to its message of female empowerment to the folks who turned its black and white video into a You Tube phenomenon, “Single Ladies” was more than a hit single from a popular artist. It was a pop culture phenomenon.
Beyonce was already big, of course. Her third CD, 2008’s “I Am … Sasha Fierce,” was a double CD set that introduced her alter ego. “Single Ladies” and “If I Were a Boy” (a video for which was also shot in black and white) were the first double-sided single from the CD. If the label expected “If I Were A Boy” to be the hit, they were dead wrong.
It may have been a combination of Beyonce’s then-recent marriage, which co-writer The-Dream said influenced “Single Ladies.” It may have been the retro video based on dancer/choreographer Bob Fosse’s 1969 “Mexican Breakfast.” Mexican Breakfast.” Or it could have been the song’s catchy hook, on which Beyonce decried and dismissed non-committal men who wouldn’t put a ring on their girl’s finger.
Whatever the magic, not only did the song – written by Christopher “Tricky” Stewart, Thaddus “Kuk” Harrell, Knowles and Terius “The-Dream” Nash – run up the charts; it sparked a YouTube revolution. The “Single Ladies” video is a no-frills, no-backgroud clip, with Bey and two able dancers performing in black leotards and high heels, yet it’s become one of her most popular videos ever. As the song rose in popularity, thousands of fans took it upon themselves to create videos with their own versions of the choreography. Their YouTube video responses went viral, and the many versions of the song only pushed the original further up the charts. Beyonce appeared on “Saturday Night Live” to parody the video herself, with Justin Timberlake hilariously playing one of the video’s background dancers.
CLICK HERE to view “Single Ladies” video.
The accolades for “Single Ladies” were many. Rolling Stone named it the year’s top song, and Beyonce won three Grammys for it at the 2009 Awards. It went number-one in the U.S. Billboard charts and sold over 6 million copies.
When Beyonce lost the MTV Video Award for Best Female Video to Taylor Swift in 2009, a reportedly drunk West infamously jumped on stage before Swift could accept the award to proclaim Beyonce’s video the year’s best. He became a pariah in the media afterwards, while. for her part, Beyonce appeared shocked, and when she came onstage to accept the award for Video of the Year for “Single Ladies,” she graciously asked Swift to came and claim her time in the spotlight.
“Single Ladies” may be the first song and video of the Internet age – one that was a perfect storm of performer, video, timing and song. It stands out still as the most impactful video of the 2000s, a decade ruled by Beyonce and her husband, Jay-Z.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31