Gospel music group The Pace Sisters are surely an anointed music family. But they are also a family that struggles with issues of obesity. Six of the seven sisters joined Iyanla Vanzant for the latest episode of “Iyanla, Fix My Life,” which airs on OWN this Saturday, May 18 at 9 p.m. Vanzant says the sisters weight challenges reflected other issues.
“What I did experience both with the Pace sisters and with some of the work that I’ve done is when you hace a very religious history, food is the only thing that is unrestricted,” Vanzant told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “It’s also a symbol of love. Somebody loves you, they want to nurture you, the first thing they do is feed you. We explore a litte bit about that. We also explore the family history that contributes to weighing these sisters down. Not so much their weight, but what is weighing them down.”
Vanzant says that obesity is often the product of unresolved issues and that is true for the Pace sisters. Obesity is a significant issue not just in their households, butt in the African-American community overall. And it’s deadly. One of the seven Pace sisters was unable to participate in the show as she was hospitalized by a stroke before the broadcast.
“We also explore the family history that contributes to weighing these sisters down,” Vanzant says of the episode. “Not so much their weight, but what is weighing them down. And then when they eat the food, what is it holding in place? What is it holding down? If you can’t go to the movies and you can’t wear pants and you can’t iisten to secular music and you can’t go to the club, but you can eat all the food you want [this is what can happen].”
Vanzant’s family intervention has proven to be a breakthrough for the group. Since the show, Vanzant says the sisters have bonded together to help each other lose the weight.
“Once we looked at the issues, there’s no reason anymore to stuff those issues and stuff those fears.”
As for rapper DMX, who was unhappy with his portrayal on a recent “Iyanla, Fix My Life,” broadcast, Vanzant says that his threatened lawsuit has not yet materialized. But the show may have created a breakthrough, not for DMX, but for his oldest son, Xavier, who appeared on the show with him.
“Very often, we go in thinkkng we’re working with one person and we get the breakthrough for somebody else. That’s not the first time that has happened. So really it was about his son. With all of the guests, it’s their choice and I think once they get in and realize this is not just reality TV and you’re getting some publicity and exposure, when they’re sititng face to face with me, they say ‘Oh wait a minute. Hold on.'” (Laughs).
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30