I want to give a huge thanks to the TJMS family that has sent my family positive energy surrounding the loss of my dad. So many of you showed crazy support of his fight with Cancer and I am humbled and overwhelmed.
Tom, this weekend I became honorary Alum of Dillard University when they presented me an honorary doctorate. It was an amazing pleasure to speak for their 2013 commencement where nearly 180 students walked the stage for graduation. And I was thinking about how many young and not so young people will be walking the stage this season. Some will be leaving high school for college, the work force, the military or even an entrepreneurial venture. And still some will be leaving two and four-year institution for a range of future choices that will transition them to the next phase of their lives.
I wanted to take a moment to celebrate a few graduates that the TJMS family shared with me via twitter and Facebook. But before I do. I want to ask you are you prepared to work towards graduating from something. These students all committed to a course of study and then put in the work to matriculate and graduate. We all can do the same thing. Some of us are working towards graduating our relationship to marriage, while others want to graduate a hustle to a business. Many of us are still trying to figure out a major, but the fact that you commit to anything is a step in the right direction. Don’t stop enrolling in LIFE. That thing that you think or know you are here for. Keep pushing because it is the small steps, class by class and step by step that lead us to graduation.
Lets honor a few who did just that this year and have or will be graduating soon.
Shannon Alexandersays, Started from the bottom now she’s here!!! Shouting out my sis Robinne CoCo-Drop Alexander from GED to Masters Degree!!! MBA from AIU.
Tiffany Johnson Jewellsays Im shouting out MYSELF! Associates of Applied Science, Human Services from Ivy Tech Community College in Indianapolis, In. Shartajeye’ Wright says, I am a proud graduate of Texas Southern University and Shartajeye’ Wright just graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Biology with a minor in Chemistry!
Kahlia Fordis celebrating her sister, Alexis Marie Davis graduated 3rd in her class from Philander Smith College, Summa Cum Laude!!
Caecilia Key gives major props to Evan Epic Polk, graduating from Washington Math Science Technology Public Charter High School, in DC and
Terrilynn Cook is incredibly proud of her son Branden Cook< graduating from Butler High School (Matthews, NC), is on the National Honors Society and will be attending Wake Forest University with a Presidential Scholarship .
Kim Brown says “hi Jeff, my Granddaughter Angel will Graduate on Friday 5/17 from Woodward Technical High in Cincinnati, I’m so proud of her”. And finally,
Nina S. Kirk is celebrating her son Corey Thorpe who will graduate on May 25th from George Washington High School in Danville, Virginia.
Know that you don’t have to be enrolled in college to graduate from something. I encourage you to keep pushing family….Your graduation is right around the corner.
I’m Jeff and that’s my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30