I want to give a huge thanks to the TJMS family that has sent my family positive energy surrounding the loss of my dad. So many of you showed crazy support of his fight with Cancer and I am humbled and overwhelmed.
Tom, this weekend I became honorary Alum of Dillard University when they presented me an honorary doctorate. It was an amazing pleasure to speak for their 2013 commencement where nearly 180 students walked the stage for graduation. And I was thinking about how many young and not so young people will be walking the stage this season. Some will be leaving high school for college, the work force, the military or even an entrepreneurial venture. And still some will be leaving two and four-year institution for a range of future choices that will transition them to the next phase of their lives.
I wanted to take a moment to celebrate a few graduates that the TJMS family shared with me via twitter and Facebook. But before I do. I want to ask you are you prepared to work towards graduating from something. These students all committed to a course of study and then put in the work to matriculate and graduate. We all can do the same thing. Some of us are working towards graduating our relationship to marriage, while others want to graduate a hustle to a business. Many of us are still trying to figure out a major, but the fact that you commit to anything is a step in the right direction. Don’t stop enrolling in LIFE. That thing that you think or know you are here for. Keep pushing because it is the small steps, class by class and step by step that lead us to graduation.
Lets honor a few who did just that this year and have or will be graduating soon.
Shannon Alexandersays, Started from the bottom now she’s here!!! Shouting out my sis Robinne CoCo-Drop Alexander from GED to Masters Degree!!! MBA from AIU.
Tiffany Johnson Jewellsays Im shouting out MYSELF! Associates of Applied Science, Human Services from Ivy Tech Community College in Indianapolis, In. Shartajeye’ Wright says, I am a proud graduate of Texas Southern University and Shartajeye’ Wright just graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Biology with a minor in Chemistry!
Kahlia Fordis celebrating her sister, Alexis Marie Davis graduated 3rd in her class from Philander Smith College, Summa Cum Laude!!
Caecilia Key gives major props to Evan Epic Polk, graduating from Washington Math Science Technology Public Charter High School, in DC and
Terrilynn Cook is incredibly proud of her son Branden Cook< graduating from Butler High School (Matthews, NC), is on the National Honors Society and will be attending Wake Forest University with a Presidential Scholarship .
Kim Brown says “hi Jeff, my Granddaughter Angel will Graduate on Friday 5/17 from Woodward Technical High in Cincinnati, I’m so proud of her”. And finally,
Nina S. Kirk is celebrating her son Corey Thorpe who will graduate on May 25th from George Washington High School in Danville, Virginia.
Know that you don’t have to be enrolled in college to graduate from something. I encourage you to keep pushing family….Your graduation is right around the corner.
I’m Jeff and that’s my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31