Sherri Shepherd cares about Black people. “The View” co-host and comedienne doesn’t want to see diabetes, which affects Blacks and Hispanics in disproportionate numbers, become your reality. So she’s penned a new book “Plan D: How to Lose Weight and Beat Diabetes (Even If You Don’t Have It).” She says that after being diagnosed with diabetes herself in 2007.
“I wrote the book because I was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of weeks before I started “The View,” she told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “When I started “The View,” I was 197 pounds. I had the vision of [her son] Jeffrey being here without me to raise him and I thought I gotta change my life.
My mom passed away at 41 from complications of diabetes. And I said I cannot not be here and leave my son. You know, I had a divorce because of an extramarital affair, and I’ll be damned if another woman is raising my child. I just had to change my life, my eating, exercise look at food a different way and lost weight.”
While she says sweets and taffy apples in particular were her weakness, she’s learned to curb those impulses to continue leading a healthy life.
“I like sweets. I love taffy apples. But you have to find alternatives. I do apples, organic peanut butter and walnuts that’s my sweet. The food that I love I send to other people. They can eat it. I live vicariously through everybody else.”
Shepherd lost 40 pounds in over a year. Although she put back on 10, she says she keeps the weight down with eating habits and exercising regularly by going to boot camp and spinning.
“Elizabeth Hasselback told me it releases endorphins when you exercise. I though she meant orgasms. I kept adjusting the seat at Soul Cycle but it didn’t make a difference!”
As a Type 2 diabetic, who was diagnosed after years of pre-diabetes, Shepherd says diet and exercise has changed her life and appearance and it can do the same for you, too.
“I was on three differnet medications for my diabetes now I’m on none. I have Type 2 diabetes so it’s controlled through diet and exercise which is why for Type 2 diabetes diet and exercise is so important. We used to call it the sugar. That’s what Black people call it. There’s no urgency to change anything. I was so used to people in my family being blind or not having a foot and eating the same way. Diabetes is the fourth highest killer in the African-American and Latino community. We’ve got to do something different from what we’ve been doing, leaving our children with no parents.”
In “The View” news, Shepherd will be there today when the 83-year-old creator of “The View” Barbara Walters, announces her official retirement from broadcasting after a five decade career. Co-host Joy Behar will also leave “The View” after this season.
“The two Black women are staying,” Shepherd says of her and co-host Whoopi Goldberg. “Usually we get killed off!”
Buy “Plan D” here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30