Sherri Shepherd cares about Black people. “The View” co-host and comedienne doesn’t want to see diabetes, which affects Blacks and Hispanics in disproportionate numbers, become your reality. So she’s penned a new book “Plan D: How to Lose Weight and Beat Diabetes (Even If You Don’t Have It).” She says that after being diagnosed with diabetes herself in 2007.
“I wrote the book because I was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of weeks before I started “The View,” she told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “When I started “The View,” I was 197 pounds. I had the vision of [her son] Jeffrey being here without me to raise him and I thought I gotta change my life.
My mom passed away at 41 from complications of diabetes. And I said I cannot not be here and leave my son. You know, I had a divorce because of an extramarital affair, and I’ll be damned if another woman is raising my child. I just had to change my life, my eating, exercise look at food a different way and lost weight.”
While she says sweets and taffy apples in particular were her weakness, she’s learned to curb those impulses to continue leading a healthy life.
“I like sweets. I love taffy apples. But you have to find alternatives. I do apples, organic peanut butter and walnuts that’s my sweet. The food that I love I send to other people. They can eat it. I live vicariously through everybody else.”
Shepherd lost 40 pounds in over a year. Although she put back on 10, she says she keeps the weight down with eating habits and exercising regularly by going to boot camp and spinning.
“Elizabeth Hasselback told me it releases endorphins when you exercise. I though she meant orgasms. I kept adjusting the seat at Soul Cycle but it didn’t make a difference!”
As a Type 2 diabetic, who was diagnosed after years of pre-diabetes, Shepherd says diet and exercise has changed her life and appearance and it can do the same for you, too.
“I was on three differnet medications for my diabetes now I’m on none. I have Type 2 diabetes so it’s controlled through diet and exercise which is why for Type 2 diabetes diet and exercise is so important. We used to call it the sugar. That’s what Black people call it. There’s no urgency to change anything. I was so used to people in my family being blind or not having a foot and eating the same way. Diabetes is the fourth highest killer in the African-American and Latino community. We’ve got to do something different from what we’ve been doing, leaving our children with no parents.”
In “The View” news, Shepherd will be there today when the 83-year-old creator of “The View” Barbara Walters, announces her official retirement from broadcasting after a five decade career. Co-host Joy Behar will also leave “The View” after this season.
“The two Black women are staying,” Shepherd says of her and co-host Whoopi Goldberg. “Usually we get killed off!”
Buy “Plan D” here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31