Michael B. Jordan (“Friday Night Lights”) stars in “Fruitvale Station” as Oscar Grant, the 22-year-old Bay Area man whose fatal 2009 shooting by Oakland BART police sparked outrage and protests against police brutality.
The Weinstein Co. nabbed Ryan Coogler’s directorial debut out of Sundance for $2 million before it won the fest’s U.S. Grand Jury Prize and Audience Award.
The film, co-produced by Forest Whitaker, is now scheduled for a July 12 release. Octavia Spencer stars as Grant’s mother, while Kevin Durand and Chad Michael Murray play the two BART police officers involved in Grant’s death.
The story follows Grant’s experiences on the last day of his life, before he was fatally shot in the early morning hours of New Year’s Day 2009.
The Next 007: Our Top 10 Picks
11 photos Launch gallery
1. 1. Christian Keyes is a breathtakingly handsome, 6'3" model turned actor. All the right stuff for a 007. (PR)
1 of 11
2. 2. Christian Keyes is still breathtakingly handsome with his shirt on. Just sayin! (PR)
2 of 11
3. 3. Idris Elba has all the qualifications for the role: British accent, excellent actor, tall, dark & handsome. (AP)
3 of 11
4. 4. Boris Kodjoe would make a great Bond. A fashion model turned actor and got the swagger & looks to pull it off. (PR)
4 of 11
5. 5. Chiwetel Ejiofor is handsome, has a British accent, numerous acting awards and is a great candidate to play Bond. (PR)
5 of 11
6. 6. Shemar Moore would be a great 007. He makes brandishing a loaded weapon look totally sexy. (PR)
6 of 11
7. 7. Lance Gross has all the qualifications to pull off the role of 007. He is tall, great actor and very easy on the eyes. (PR)
7 of 11
8. 8. Michael Ealy would make a fabulous 007. He looks great in a tux and the love scenes would rival the action scenes. (PR)
8 of 11
9. 9. Jesse Williams can do ANYTHING: model, teach high school and act on stage, film or television. (PR)
9 of 11
10. 10. Taye Diggs would also make a great James Bond. He is very sexy, got swag and is a wonderful actor. (PR)
10 of 11
11. 11. From barbarian to Bond would be an easy transition for Jason Momoa. I can already hear him saying 'Shaken, not stirred'
11 of 11