As we reported earlier, word traveling around the world tonight is that Malcolm X’s grandson Malcolm Shabazz has tragically passed away at the young age of 28. While many outlets are reporting information about Mr. Shabazz tonight, we thought it would be helpful to give you some facts that will help you better understand who Malcolm Shabazz was and underscore some of the events that happened within his very short lifetime. Thanks to NewsOne and his very own words via ablog named for him, we are able to do that.
1. He is the first male descendant of Malcolm X. He was born unto Qubilah Shabazz the second daughter of Malcolm X and Betty Shabazz. Malcolm X had all daughters, and he was the first-born male grandchild as well.
2. He bears a striking resemblance to his grandfather Malcolm X. He donned the signature glasses and in the picture it is almost eerie how similar they looked.
3. He is the father of a daughter whom he named after his favorite Aunt.
4. In 2010 he made the Hajj to Mecca where, just like his grandfather before him, the experience changed his life. Said Shabazz, “I felt something move inside my chest and I felt I was born once again and the stories I read about the Ka’ba were scattered before my eyes, I had a mixed feeling and I was in a state of great astonishment. I couldn’t restrain my tears before that awesome scene.”
5. A curious kid, rode the city bus by himself at the age of four, and traveled around all alone for quite a while until someone finally got a hold of him.
6. Learned to drive at the age of 9, memorized his aunt’s movements while she was driving and got up one morning, took her keys, went out to the car, started it up and drove himself to school. Parked the car and went in the building to class.
7. Malcom lived with several people over the course of his short life including his 2nd grade teacher’s house when he was a little boy. He enjoyed living there with her because he felt cared for. He even had a bike and a hamster which meant a lot to him.
8. When living with his 2nd grade teacher, he attended church every Sunday.
9. He was close with other children and grandchildren of slain civil-rights-era activists. They bonded over the mutual understanding of what their legacys’ meant to so many people. There is a lot of pressure put on the offspring of historical figures, and these compatriots understand how hard it was to be in that shadow.
10. When he was little and would ask who his father was, his mother allegedly took out pictures of her own father Malcolm X and said that he was Malcolm Shabazz’s father. His real father was an Algerian national that his mother met in Paris. Shabazz claimed that he had never met his real father before.
READ MORE HOT ENTERTAINMENT COVERAGE ON THEURBANDAILY.COM:
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!