As we reported earlier, word traveling around the world tonight is that Malcolm X’s grandson Malcolm Shabazz has tragically passed away at the young age of 28. While many outlets are reporting information about Mr. Shabazz tonight, we thought it would be helpful to give you some facts that will help you better understand who Malcolm Shabazz was and underscore some of the events that happened within his very short lifetime. Thanks to NewsOne and his very own words via a blog named for him, we are able to do that.
1. He is the first male descendant of Malcolm X. He was born unto Qubilah Shabazz the second daughter of Malcolm X and Betty Shabazz. Malcolm X had all daughters, and he was the first-born male grandchild as well.
2. He bears a striking resemblance to his grandfather Malcolm X. He donned the signature glasses and in the picture it is almost eerie how similar they looked.
3. He is the father of a daughter whom he named after his favorite Aunt.
4. In 2010 he made the Hajj to Mecca where, just like his grandfather before him, the experience changed his life. Said Shabazz, “I felt something move inside my chest and I felt I was born once again and the stories I read about the Ka’ba were scattered before my eyes, I had a mixed feeling and I was in a state of great astonishment. I couldn’t restrain my tears before that awesome scene.”
5. A curious kid, rode the city bus by himself at the age of four, and traveled around all alone for quite a while until someone finally got a hold of him.
6. Learned to drive at the age of 9, memorized his aunt’s movements while she was driving and got up one morning, took her keys, went out to the car, started it up and drove himself to school. Parked the car and went in the building to class.
7. Malcom lived with several people over the course of his short life including his 2nd grade teacher’s house when he was a little boy. He enjoyed living there with her because he felt cared for. He even had a bike and a hamster which meant a lot to him.
8. When living with his 2nd grade teacher, he attended church every Sunday.