As we reported earlier, word traveling around the world tonight is that Malcolm X’s grandson Malcolm Shabazz has tragically passed away at the young age of 28. While many outlets are reporting information about Mr. Shabazz tonight, we thought it would be helpful to give you some facts that will help you better understand who Malcolm Shabazz was and underscore some of the events that happened within his very short lifetime. Thanks to NewsOne and his very own words via ablog named for him, we are able to do that.
1. He is the first male descendant of Malcolm X. He was born unto Qubilah Shabazz the second daughter of Malcolm X and Betty Shabazz. Malcolm X had all daughters, and he was the first-born male grandchild as well.
2. He bears a striking resemblance to his grandfather Malcolm X. He donned the signature glasses and in the picture it is almost eerie how similar they looked.
3. He is the father of a daughter whom he named after his favorite Aunt.
4. In 2010 he made the Hajj to Mecca where, just like his grandfather before him, the experience changed his life. Said Shabazz, “I felt something move inside my chest and I felt I was born once again and the stories I read about the Ka’ba were scattered before my eyes, I had a mixed feeling and I was in a state of great astonishment. I couldn’t restrain my tears before that awesome scene.”
5. A curious kid, rode the city bus by himself at the age of four, and traveled around all alone for quite a while until someone finally got a hold of him.
6. Learned to drive at the age of 9, memorized his aunt’s movements while she was driving and got up one morning, took her keys, went out to the car, started it up and drove himself to school. Parked the car and went in the building to class.
7. Malcom lived with several people over the course of his short life including his 2nd grade teacher’s house when he was a little boy. He enjoyed living there with her because he felt cared for. He even had a bike and a hamster which meant a lot to him.
8. When living with his 2nd grade teacher, he attended church every Sunday.
9. He was close with other children and grandchildren of slain civil-rights-era activists. They bonded over the mutual understanding of what their legacys’ meant to so many people. There is a lot of pressure put on the offspring of historical figures, and these compatriots understand how hard it was to be in that shadow.
10. When he was little and would ask who his father was, his mother allegedly took out pictures of her own father Malcolm X and said that he was Malcolm Shabazz’s father. His real father was an Algerian national that his mother met in Paris. Shabazz claimed that he had never met his real father before.
READ MORE HOT ENTERTAINMENT COVERAGE ON THEURBANDAILY.COM:
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂