About six out of 10 people with diabetes are wearing the wrong size shoes, according to a study at the University of Dundee in the United Kingdom. Another study found that only about one-fourth of all people wear the right size shoe.
When people with diabetes start experiencing nerve damage or numbness, they often gravitate toward shoes that are too small because tight shoes make it easier for them to feel the snugness on their feet. They mistake that tightness for good support. Instead, they need to wear shoes with comfortable — not tight — support.
Once you know your correct size, here are nine guidelines for choosing shoes when you have diabetes:
- Look for shoes that don’t come to a point at the toe. Instead, choose shoes with a spacious “toe box” — the forward tip of the shoe where the toes are. That way your toes won’t be crushed together. When your toes have space, it lessens the chance of corns, calluses, and blisters that can turn into ulcers and eventually infections.
- If the shoe’s insole is removable, take it out and step on it. Your foot should fit comfortably on top of it with no overlap. If your foot is bigger than the insole, then your foot will be crammed inside the shoe when you wear it. Choose a different shoe.
- Avoid high-heeled shoes because they put unnatural pressure on the ball of your foot. If you have neuropathy, you may not realize that you are sore there or even getting calluses. High heels also can cause balance issues and ligament damage.
- Steer clear of sandals, flip flops, or other open-toe shoes. Straps can put pressure on parts of your foot, leading to sores and blisters. In addition, open shoes can leave you susceptible to injury like cuts. They also can allow gravel and small stones to get inside the shoe. These can rub against your feet, causing sores and blisters.
- Consider laced shoes instead of slip-ons. They often provide better support and a better fit.
- Try on shoes at the end of the day. That’s when your feet are more likely to be a little swollen. If shoes are comfortable when your feet are swollen, they should feel fine the rest of the time, too.
- Don’t buy shoes if they are uncomfortable, planning to break them in as you wear them. Shoes should feel good when you first try them on. If you take off new shoes after wearing them a couple hours and find red, sensitive spots, don’t wear them again.
- Buy at least two pairs of supportive, comfortable shoes. Each pair will likely have different pressure points on your feet, so it will relieve the pressure when you alternate wearing different shoes. It will also allow your shoes to dry and air out when you don’t wear them every day.
- In some cases, the cost of special shoes is covered by Medicare for people with diabetes. You must meet certain criteria — such as foot deformities, past foot ulcers, or calluses that can lead to nerve damage — and must have a doctor’s prescription. Talk to your podiatrist or primary care doctor for more information.
« Previous page 1 2
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30