About six out of 10 people with diabetes are wearing the wrong size shoes, according to a study at the University of Dundee in the United Kingdom. Another study found that only about one-fourth of all people wear the right size shoe.
When people with diabetes start experiencing nerve damage or numbness, they often gravitate toward shoes that are too small because tight shoes make it easier for them to feel the snugness on their feet. They mistake that tightness for good support. Instead, they need to wear shoes with comfortable — not tight — support.
Once you know your correct size, here are nine guidelines for choosing shoes when you have diabetes:
- Look for shoes that don’t come to a point at the toe. Instead, choose shoes with a spacious “toe box” — the forward tip of the shoe where the toes are. That way your toes won’t be crushed together. When your toes have space, it lessens the chance of corns, calluses, and blisters that can turn into ulcers and eventually infections.
- If the shoe’s insole is removable, take it out and step on it. Your foot should fit comfortably on top of it with no overlap. If your foot is bigger than the insole, then your foot will be crammed inside the shoe when you wear it. Choose a different shoe.
- Avoid high-heeled shoes because they put unnatural pressure on the ball of your foot. If you have neuropathy, you may not realize that you are sore there or even getting calluses. High heels also can cause balance issues and ligament damage.
- Steer clear of sandals, flip flops, or other open-toe shoes. Straps can put pressure on parts of your foot, leading to sores and blisters. In addition, open shoes can leave you susceptible to injury like cuts. They also can allow gravel and small stones to get inside the shoe. These can rub against your feet, causing sores and blisters.
- Consider laced shoes instead of slip-ons. They often provide better support and a better fit.
- Try on shoes at the end of the day. That’s when your feet are more likely to be a little swollen. If shoes are comfortable when your feet are swollen, they should feel fine the rest of the time, too.
- Don’t buy shoes if they are uncomfortable, planning to break them in as you wear them. Shoes should feel good when you first try them on. If you take off new shoes after wearing them a couple hours and find red, sensitive spots, don’t wear them again.
- Buy at least two pairs of supportive, comfortable shoes. Each pair will likely have different pressure points on your feet, so it will relieve the pressure when you alternate wearing different shoes. It will also allow your shoes to dry and air out when you don’t wear them every day.
- In some cases, the cost of special shoes is covered by Medicare for people with diabetes. You must meet certain criteria — such as foot deformities, past foot ulcers, or calluses that can lead to nerve damage — and must have a doctor’s prescription. Talk to your podiatrist or primary care doctor for more information.
« Previous page 1 2
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31