Prior to the recession, there was always a stigma of being fired or laid off as opposed to resigning from a job. Most times, it’s reported that a person who offers up a resignation would be more marketable and hireable than someone who was terminated. However, as we are still dealing with an unstable employment environment, many people are opting towards being terminated as opposed to resigning.
There are both pros and cons to resigning and being terminated.
Pros For Resigning include:
1) Time is on your side with making a decision and weighing pros and cons
2) Ability to negotiate severance pay
3) More favorable explanation for future employment
4) Possible letters of recommendation
5) No burned bridges
Cons Against Resigning:
1) Failure to receive unemployment benefits
2) Stigma of “quitting”
Pros For Waiting To Be Terminated Include:
1) Unemployment benefits