Deion Sanders Jr. is just a freshman at Southern Methodist University but he’s already living large by sleeping on gold satin Versace sheets in his college dorm room.
Junior’s father, former NFL star Deion Sanders, widely known as “Prime Time,” tweeted a picture of his son chilling on the glitzy Versace sheets.
As a parent, I’m not criticizing Deion Sr. for buying Junior the high-end bed sheets. After all, Sanders has gone through a tough divorce with an ex-wife who appears to be a bit unstable, and, by most accounts, Sanders seems to be a devoted and responsible father.
It’s no secret that Sanders likes expensive toys and is naturally drawn to bling; it’s part of his “Prime Time” brand and there’s nothing wrong with that. My only question is this: What message is Sanders sending to Junior when it comes to practical spending, saving money, and wise purchases?
“As a young adult, even if you don’t have or earn a lot of money, the financial decisions you make today can affect your lifestyle now and for years to come,” Luke W. Reynolds, Chief of the FDIC’s Community Outreach Section, told Black Enterprise magazine. “The good news is you don’t need to be a finance expert to take charge of your financial future. A few basic concepts can go a long way.”
Perhaps Prime Time has already had the financial talk with his son since Deion Sr. has earned a good sum of money from the NFL, CBS Sports and endorsement deals. He seems to be a smart self-marketer and knows how to earn a high-profile living so he could indeed be passing along his wisdom to Junior.
It’s not like Sanders can’t afford Versace sheets: He’s worth an estimated $40 million.
Sanders has earned his net worth as one of the most versatile athletes in sporting history. He played for the Atlanta Falcons, the San Francisco 49ers, the Dallas Cowboys, the Washington Redskins and the Baltimore Ravens, playing multiple positions such as cornerback, but also occasionally as a wide receiver, kick returner, and punt returner. In baseball, he played for the New York Yankees, the Atlanta Braves, the Cincinnati Reds and the San Francisco Giants. He is currently an NFL Network analyst.
In February 2011, Deion listed two of his Dallas area homes for sale. One was listed for $7.5 million and the other for a $21 million. The $21 million mansion is 30,000 square feet and has eight bedrooms, 10-car garage, movie theater, bowling alley, basketball court and a 12-acre lake.
Still, with all of Sanders’ wealth, young adults like Deion Jr. need guidance and financial direction earlier in life these days as college, housing, cars, and life’s expenses become more costly.
Frankly, I won’t be buying my kid Versace sheets for college; cotton sheets will be just fine.
Here’s how Black Enterprise magazine broke it down:
“While everyone can benefit from learning about money management and taking a more hands-on approach with their finances, young adults — including those just starting a career or a family and others still in high school or college — have plenty to gain by learning to be smart about money, and a lot to lose by making uninformed decisions.”
Meanwhile, Deion Jr. is following in his father’s footsteps by playing football at SMU. The younger Sanders has big-time talent, according to some reports, but he will have the added pressure of living up to his father’s name. Coaches will not expect Deion Jr. to be an average player – they will expect him to be an exceptional player.
But will Junior also indulge in his father’s high-end spending habits? And, more important, should we care?
One thing is certain: Deion Jr. can rest easy in his dorm room, curled up in designer sheets while dreaming of scoring touchdowns on the SMU gridiron.
What do you think? Is Deion Sr. sending his son the wrong message? Should we care?
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30