Actor/ comedian David Alan Grier has had a lengthy career on screen and stage. This spring, he co-stars with Craig Robinson (“The Office”) and Kerry Washington in the new Tyler Perry produced “Peeples.” The former “In Living Color” star says that although it may seem as though the universal story of a suitor meeting his girlfriends’ parents was written for a “mainstream” cast and an All-Black cast was dropped in, that’s not the case at all. Tyler Perry lent his name and considerable cachet as producer, but he’s not the writer/director of “Peeples.”
“Tina Chism who is a first-time director, wrote it and directed it. She wrote the script for “ATL” and “Drumline,” Grier told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “She wrote a script for “us.” It wasn’t like she took a project and said ‘Let’s paint it black.’ I mean do you talk about Blackness in every day of your life? That’s the one thing Tina and I never talked about. We just talked about how to make it real, how to make it fun, and how to make it work and the truth of that. I think that she wanted to show Black people with money, Black people at different stages of our society but still struggling with the same thing. I mean a family is a family. You bring someone home who’ s not a part of that family, they have to be jumped in.”
Grier says working with fellow comic Craig Robinson helped the movie up the comic ante.
“I never worked with Craig. I know him from comedy. We’d see each other in in clubs in passing doing sets around L.A. and it was always that conversation ‘Man, I’d love to work with you, Me, too, See ya,” says Grier. “And you know I love Kerry. This is the third time we’ve worked together and [now] I’m going to play your love interest. It’s going to be amazing.”
Sadly for Grier, in “Peeples” he plays Washington’s father. “We need you to grow the grey in,” Grier says. “I was like that’s not gray, that’s makeup!”
Veteran actors Melvin Van Peebles and Diahann Carroll star as well.
“Peeples” opens on Friday.
TEXT TOM AND WIN: Text “Peeples” to 0006464 and join the TJMS at the Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion in Orlando, FL Labor Day Weekend. You and your “peeples” can come hang out with our ‘peeples,” if you’re the winner.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25